It is currently Sat 21. Sep 2024 6:50:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tail issues
PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 11:27:35 

Hi,

I have setup the spirit in my Walkera V450D01, with 4 blade rotor head. I was previously running with RX2702V-D and mechanical adustment for the cyclic phasing. This was working fine, tail was holding properly.

I swapped the RX2702V-D for the spirit.

Now, since then, when I try to lift off, the heli starts to turn to the left. It seems like the tail is not holding well. I even tried to apply rudder to the right to support it, but it doesn't really help.

I am not sure whether one issue might be the cyclic phasing. Would a wrong cyclic phasing lead to a rolling movement, as if I would apply rudder? I suppose if I ha dthe phasing wrong, it would proably bank, but not roll. Or?

Then I probably have a tail setup issue.

Michael

Post subject: Re: Tail issues
PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 12:18:43 
Site Admin

Hi,

if there is mechanical phasing in the head, it may be needed to compensate it. If it is not configured correctly, helicopter can tip over.
But even if this phasing is not correctly configured, rudder should hold without any issue (what is your Gyro Gain?) - you can check Diagnostics tab in the software (you should see HL as well in Gyro Gain channel).

To check if your cyclic phasing is configured properly, you can grab helicopter and tilt it forth. Then you should observe blades and they must tilt to the opposite angle so it will compensate your movement always in elevator and aileron axes.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 16:54:48 

Hi there,

I checked it again. The rudder reacts properly, so correct direction, gyro comoensation diretcion is correct.

The rudder limits are 72 / 70 and pirouette consistency is at 175. The rudder gyro gain is at 75%, common gain is at 1.2x and diagnosis says 75% HL, so that all works fine.

It is just that the heli rolls to the left on take off.

One thing I noticed is that when I switch to stabilization mode while motor runs with throttle at 80% and heli still on the ground, the rotor disc tilts noticably backwards. It goes back when I switch to normal "disabled" mode.

Does that indicate anything?

Michael

PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 18:35:23 
Site Admin

Hi,

you can try to spinup the rotor without blades and check if cyclic is reacting correctly.
Did you set cyclic phasing (rotation) in RX2702V-D system? Or was there some special settings?

PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 19:53:51 

Hi there,

I didn't set the phasing the RX2702V-D, because I did it mechanically. But I wanted to have a more realstic look, so i chose the spirit to use virtual cyclic phasing in the FBL.

Now the cyclic works correct if I am not mistaken, so if I push/pull elevator stick, the blades 90° to the tail boom move, when I push aileron, the blades along the boom move, which is suppose dto be correct on a 4 bladed head. I can see minor movement on the the blade set, but this is just marginal, so I can probably play around with the +/-42° cyclic phase abit.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri 16. Jan 2015 20:28:19 
Site Admin

Yes, it should be OK then. Actually you can imagine that there are only 2 blades and those should act very normally as there is classic rotor head without phasing.

PostPosted: Sat 17. Jan 2015 9:07:01 

Ok, then it should be all working fine, but it isn't.

Is there any other factor I can try to make the tail work better?

Michael

PostPosted: Sat 17. Jan 2015 10:56:47 
Site Admin

I am still not sure if it is the rudder problem.
It would be nice to unmount 2 blades with the head and test it as normal helicopter first.

Also you can try to spin up the motor/rotor without blades and see if all is working on the ground.
If tail worked well with RX2702V-D then it should work with Spirit FBL as well.

If it rolls to the left, then it seems rather cyclic issue for me.

You can also measure vibrations with Spectral Analyser in the software just to be sure all is good here. You can find instructions in the manual.

PostPosted: Sat 17. Jan 2015 14:24:28 

Hi there,

interesting results: I wanted to fly my T-Rex 450 with RX2702V-D (in a Hughes fuselage) and a 2-blade rotor head today. Guess what, it also yaws counterclockwise. Even if I give full right rudder on lift off, the heli won't stop.

Now, on the ground everything works fine. Gyro compensates correctly.

I checked the rudder channel on my TX (Devo 12S with deviation software on it), it doesn't show any constant or irregular input. And this heli worked before definitely.

So Spirit is out of the question now, but the only explanation is that my Tx does soemthing wrong, right? But if the corresponding channel doesn't show anything wrong, what could it be???ß :?: :shock: :?

PostPosted: Sat 17. Jan 2015 14:45:57 
Site Admin

Thanks,

it could be for example different Subtrim/Trim settings when Throttle hold is inactive. So with stopped motor it can work differently.