It is currently Sun 08. Sep 2024 2:43:15

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 25. Jun 2024 20:53:59 

All,
I own 2 Spirit GTs. For both SAB 700's.
I added a Geolink V2, set it up in the SW, still on 3.6.1 (latest when I did this)
I usually fly in non stability mode. However, after a crash due to pilot error, I decided to enable that mode.
When the heli was further away, I switched on stability mode. As a result, the heli climbed at once when at > 8 meters. Unexpected hence I decided to switch it off again. That resulted in a serious unexpected series of moves; vertical, sideways, whatever, no control with a crash of the 3-blade Havok as a result.
I'm sort of shocked by this all. If I make a mistake, so be it. If this happens out of my control, I can't seem to fix it.
Was it the Geolink, not happy with it, not giving correct info, was it a setting... don't know.
Hesitant to use the stability mode or the Geolink again.
To be clear, I made many flights without stability mode with both SAB700's.
Help, what could have caused this.
If the settings file helps, I can share it.
Many thanks,
Patrick

PostPosted: Wed 26. Jun 2024 7:41:41 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am very sorry for the troubles.
Unfortunately without anything about your model we can't help more. I will need at least settings of your Spirit to be able to check it.
Generally when you add GeoLink and enable pure Stabilisation, but enable any GeoLink feature in the Aid tab, this will engage also GeoLink feature.
This is shown in the Aid tab and also Diagnostic tab.

So very likely what happened is that when Stabilisation mode was engaged, this engaged also any GeoLink feature that was enabled. This mean this could in theory engage ALL GeoLink features at the same time.
By default all GeoLink features are disabled, so difference between adding GeoLink is not present.

PostPosted: Wed 26. Jun 2024 15:28:03 

Hi,
Thanks. Appreciate the quick feedback. I thing I set it up carefully to limit all Geolink features.
No coordinates were set. No safe mode or bailout function active. Only after switching to stability mode.
Attached is the config file I used during the crash.
Feedback is welcome to avoid a simiar issue.

Thanks,
Patrick

Attachments:
File comment: The config file. Please remove pdf extension.
setup_with_gps_and_stability_reslt_in_crash_after_stability_switched_on_2_june_2024.4ds.pdf [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 11 times

PostPosted: Thu 27. Jun 2024 7:30:18 
Site Admin

Hi,

thank you for your settings file.
I checked it and I can confirm it is as I thought.

You really have enabled GeoLink functions and they are engaged by Stabi function.
This mean whenever you enable Stabilisation mode it will also engage GeoLink functions. Presently you have enabled Altitude Hold and Position Hold.
So these two functions will be always engaged when you turn Stabilisation on when flying - this is your current settings.
It is shown in the Diagnostic tab and also at the Aid tab that these two are engaged by Stabi function - displayed with Red color.

To resolve your problem you have two possibilities:
a) Turn these two features off if you dont want ot use them.
b) Assign a free channel(s) for both of these features in the General/Channels window. Then make sure that they are disengaged before flying - also displayed in the Diagnostic tab or the Aid tab.

Only then you can safely fly.

Next thing to do is to adjust Vertical Correction Gain for your model if you want to use Altitude Hold function and that your GeoLink compass is calibrated (used by Positon Hold function).

PostPosted: Thu 27. Jun 2024 9:39:33 

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt feedback.
Will follow the steps you indicate.
I'm running out of channels; wish I could use a 3-position switch for 3 options. (where it makes sense) ie:
pos 2=alt hold; pos3= position hold.
I did calibrate when setting up.
It may be that the GPS didn't initialize well.

It still bothers me that it could make the heli do what it did.

Regards,
Patrick