It is currently Tue 24. Sep 2024 23:25:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 17. Mar 2015 21:41:38 
Site Admin

OK,

from your older settings, it seems that cyclic ring was much lower - 180. Maybe here is the difference?

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 1:55:38 

did a test flight and it was even worse than I've had recently. I had two uncontrolled aileron commands (previously my issue was uncontrolled ele movement) after a hard stop on high HS. One flipped me and the other almost did.

I removed the spirit and installed ar7200bx. Did a maiden and heli seems to hold fine on hard stops. Have some tuning to do to verify it flies smooth, but it is appearing Spirit FBL is the issue, even though I've tried two units.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 8:12:07 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info!

So it seems, that your settings or something must be still at least different from time it was OK. Is your wiring very same between these units?
Only I can think about is very high Cyclic Ring values (but never heard about this issue), did you tried to set it as initially when the problem does not occured?

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 9:29:43 

jrwalte wrote:
... "Main Loop Hang Occurred."
It also seems to be random. Sometimes it will fly with little bounce, other times it will get really bad.
My setup:
Spek AR9020 / TM1000

jrwalte wrote:
I removed the spirit and installed ar7200bx.

Hi,
if you change Spirit with AR7200 you have not only changed FBL but also the receiver and most of the wiring as well.
So your conclusion may be completely wrong.
The issue may be as well be related to the AR9020 or its wiring.

How was the Spirit connected to the AR9020. Standard receiver?
A loose connection might cause similar issues.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 14:44:02 

It was connected PWM using the supplied cables from Spirit.

I plan to put the Spirit on my HD Cell 500 and move its 3SX to the Mostro. I'll be leaving the 9020 on the mostro and run HD by sats. So I'll keep an eye on the 9020.

I don't think this issue is just settings, as when I moved the FBL unit around on the heli the interaction changed. For instance, on the manu recommended rigid spot the Spirit was the worst. When moved to the Rx tray the extreme issue disappeared, but I wasn't able to tune out the bounce and I then had aileron bounce when previously I did not. But it's also odd that before the Spirit was working (back in Nov and Dec), although I did have rescue issues and had to activate advanced processing to solve it. Maybe a firmware update started causing a problem? There have been 2 or 3 updates since I had the Mostro flying on the Spirit.

I also noticed I got a low volt warning at the end of the log. How low does it need to go to give warning? I'm wondering if it was just catching when I pull the plug on the kosmik at 6.6v and the optipower UG kicks in at 6.1v. I was powering the spirit through the rx loom cables and the UG was y-adapter on the aileron/pitch servo.

But this error still hasn't been explained. Exactly what is 'main loop hang occurred'?

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 15:24:33 
Site Admin

Well, there must be something very wrong.

In case that you can see Low Voltage event, then voltage drops under 2.9V! This is level when HV servos can't operate at all nor other electronics.
So basically it can do whatever and is not recommended to fly the helicopter at all.

It can also crash without any control, fortunately unit can work even with 1.8V, but other electronics (receiver, servos, ..) will not work at all. I believe that BEC itself is OK, but required power will not reach to the peripherals.

Main loop hang is state, when something is taking very long. This state shouldn't occur at all in normal condition. It may be caused by either too excess noise from BEC, which shouldn't be the case but also in state when model does not operate as expected. For example time, when it is doing flips that you described. So unit is thinking that it is not normal at all, but can't do anything more.

Normally you shouldn't see any error in the log. If so, then it can't operate 100% correctly.

Also you can disable extended signal processing if not needed.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 16:22:57 

Maybe power from rx loom to Spirit/servos wasn't enough and I was getting voltage drops at the Spirit and that was causing it to act funny. Granted I originally didn't have an issue and nothing changed in my wiring.

Obviously the Kosmik 160 BEC is enough and its log never show it dipping more than .1v and amp spikes up to 17. I have the 2 BEC wires running on opposite side of frame from battery and motor wiring and they both have toroidal rings. They connect to the ar9020 and then the Spirit received power through the loom.

Now the ar7200bx gets power directly from BEC. This is a disadvantage of the Spirit with only 6 ports - There is no way to provide direct power without using y adapters with PWM. The 3SX allows you to use the programming port and you had the 7th port to allow two power connections without needing y adapters.

Being able to use SRXL when you get it working would help, but only for those of us who buy the higher end rx like AR9020 that supports SRXL.

Last edited by jrwalte on Wed 18. Mar 2015 16:34:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 16:24:28 

I can't search HF to find it right now, but I remember a recent case where the BEC power wire was run too close to the motor wires and it was thought that interference was causing random problems (servo twitching). During the course of that investigation I believe it was also found that a servo was being subjected to some type of electrical interference. I can't remember the details, but all these issues you are having are starting to suggest that it might be related to a bad connection and/or EMI issue, i.e., random and non-repeatable. This has to be really frustrating!

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 16:38:06 
Site Admin

We have many pilots with same servos (even with Kosmik), connected with PWM without any issue. This connection can handle 20A continuously with our cables (if receiver is capable of it).
Unfortunately nobody reported any issue like you have, except that there were faulty servos.

If it is really same with second unit, then I don't know what else I can suggest. If you didn't checked it, you can decrease voltage to 6V to lower possibility of EMI. But definitively if you can see error in the log, it is not OK at all.

We can just test both your units and verify that they are 100% OK.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015 16:41:19 

btheli,
I know that post. It was my friend having that issue, though it was with a 3SX on his Mostro. It turned out to be his tail servo. Apparently it was getting EMF from the frame and sending it into the 3SX to impact his cyclics.

Not an impossible situation for me. But I'll continue to try my other BX and 3SX units first before putting Spirit back on my Mostro.