It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 18:43:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 01. Aug 2019 14:54:36 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Both pressure sensor and GNSS are used for determining altitude of the model.
Spirit Settings software is displaying only readings from the pressure sensor. In the most cases pilots are doing setup in a building which is nearly useless for a positioning systems.

Anyway for real flights it is important that there are 12 satellites always which should be the case usually within 40 seconds from battery power up.
Waiting minute or so should be enough (from power up time) if the model has clear sky visibility.

Waiting has really benefit for Altitude Limit feature if it is first flight of the day or in a few hours. With next powerups GeoLink should be fixed within ~6 - 10 seconds.

Testing the altitude limit so that you will change collective pitch quickly is unfortunately the worst way as blades are changing pressure very significantly. Testing in a real flight with a high lower limit should be the best and the safest way.

Hello Tomas,

I was merely comparing acquisition time between indoor bench test and outside real flight and that the unit is sensitive enough to acquire satellites even in an indoor bench test situation.

As I mentioned on the first flight of the day I usually like to wait an extra 30 seconds or so after the indicator light on the GeoLink is solid blue before spooling up and taking flight. I also mentioned that succeeding flight in the same flight session should require less acquisition time as you also mentioned.

I believe you have read the test results that morrchew and I have provided that were confirmed by a third pilot and forwarded to you in respect to the performance of the Altitude Limit. With settings of 10 meter lower limit with triggering set at 10 (maximum) and rescue pitch of 90% that the feature would save the model say at a descending from a altitude of 30 meters with a pitch of negative 6° (heli descending in upright orientation) the Altitude Limit would save the heli even if it dropped to say 8 meters before ascending upwards. Given the noted scenario the heli continues descent and is not caught by the feature as our test results have shown time and time again. So I must ask was this feature made for sport flying with soft 3D, and for scale flyers where no sudden collective pitch maneuvers are made in flight and not for a novice who might panic with sudden adverse collective pitch movements that would send his model through the lower threshold and subsequently crashing to the ground.

A friend and fellow pilot had experience with the Skookum 720 units which also featured Hard Deck and it saved his model every time even with faster descending rates. I realize that the Spirit and Skooum are two different units and its like comparing apples to oranges, but I am curious what other possible component in the hardware or software enable the Skookum to preform that well under the same flying conditions.

In closing maybe my expectations of the Spirit and GeoLink Altitude Limit feature are more than what our test results yielded.

Best Regards,
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu 01. Aug 2019 15:07:40 
Site Admin

Definitively the unit is designed for all pilots, from novices to 3D pilots. Interestingly you can find pilots that have experience with both Skookum and Spirit and according them GeoLink is performing significantly better. GeoLink has also the latest hardware.

We are testing GeoLink units on a various helicopters and of course with collective pitch applied also at -13°. And it is working pretty well in any scenario we can think about with the current firmware. Since GeoLink is utilizing a positioning system that is working differently in each country it is very hard to tell where the problem is. But it is very likely that precision can be better or worse at some destinations. In Europe there are multiple positioning systems which are giving very good results. This is something we can't affect in any way. So more testing on a different helicopters and areas is needed to make any finding.

Anyway there is no available hardware that would provide precise measurement with abrupt collective pitch changes.
But with our tests and helicopters Altitude Limit configured at 5 meters is suitable for all pilots where it is triggered always fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat 03. Aug 2019 2:15:18 

GPS positioning may not work well in Arctic. Is Albereta Canada considered the Arctic??? From where I live, Canada is pretty far north. :)

Attachments:
Geolink GPS Arctic.jpg
Geolink GPS Arctic.jpg [ 231.53 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

PostPosted: Sun 04. Aug 2019 2:41:19 

ic-racer wrote:
GPS positioning may not work well in Arctic. Is Albereta Canada considered the Arctic??? From where I live, Canada is pretty far north. :)

I'm not sure how far south you are, but I am at 53.5° N latitude, so I'm quite as ways south of the Arctic. I also have acquisition to at least 12 satellites on GeoLink and more on my DJI Phantom 3 Pro which drifts less then 4 inches from center even in windy conditions and a horizontal hold of no more that 4 inches. DJI does have a phenomenal IMU which also helps keep it so locked in with access to a larger number of satellites it works great in my location.

In conclusion, I don't think satellite acquisition is a problem at my location. I am approximately 4° further north in latitude then where Tomas (ZeXx86) is located. Where are you located?

Best Regards,
Kevin

Last edited by Genesis on Sun 04. Aug 2019 14:24:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 04. Aug 2019 8:59:38 

Just check it's Latitude for N/S. Longitude is E/W. I get pedantic on Sunday mornings. Coffee time

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2019 14:30:34 

Is it possible to post some videos from the 2.6.2 testing? I would like to see a heli falling out of the sky being saved by the hard deck multiple times.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2019 18:13:06 

helinut wrote:
Is it possible to post some videos from the 2.6.2 testing? I would like to see a heli falling out of the sky being saved by the hard deck multiple times.

Careful doing that......I thought an Alt Limit 'failure' was the system once. Turned out to be I was bouncing about in my own downwash. Got to within a foot of the ground before it clawed itself back up :shock:

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2019 20:15:12 

If a pilot too often uses the altitude limit without control, he flies above his level, it is a backup not a carpet of reception.
Cdlt

PostPosted: Thu 15. Aug 2019 20:21:19 

helinut wrote:

Video I found on Youtube. You can see the hard deck working several times

https://youtu.be/jCyxpf-0EUU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7