It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 19:13:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tail setup
PostPosted: Tue 06. Nov 2018 23:20:05 

I just had a question about setting up the tail. Here's what the instructions say

"It is also necessary to set the subtrim and mechanics of the rudder so that the servo horn is perpendicular to its case and rudder pitch is at 0°. This setting will affect rudder stop performance."

I've setup many heli's over the years and in the old flybar days we used to set them up mechanically in rate mode so that they wouldn't yaw in a hover. Once that was done you would simply set your endpoints. Once FBL came out we started to simply setup the system mechanically so that you had equal (balanced) throw at each end point. With the Spirit I set it up mechanically for 0 degrees but what it does is make the end points unequal....something like 180 and 110. Is setting it a zero more important that setting it at center for balanced end points? Also the horn should be perpendicular to the pushrod, not the servo case. The servo case position is dependent on the helicoper design and is irrelevent to setup.

Last question is regarding the Wi-Fi link. I read somewhere a warning about flying with the Wi-Fi link and was hoping somebody could claify. Is it ok to have the Wi-Fi link plugged in and installed on the heli just not connected to a wifi device while flying or should it not be powered at all while flying?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tail setup
PostPosted: Wed 07. Nov 2018 8:40:12 
Site Admin

Generally you can still use the same method as described. Unfortunately each helicopter has little bit different mechanics. Some helicopter manuals are recommending how to set the tail mechanics so you can proceed according them.
But in any case the servo arm should be centered when you enter the Servo tab/Subtrim (tuning) menu.
The instruction in the manual is mainly because it is easier for beginners to set 0° everywhere. But advanced pilots can use their knowledge to possibly improve the performance little bit.

You can fly with the Wifi-Link powered if you enable Auto-Turn Off feature. You can do so in the Web Interface at the home page. (usually at http://192.168.4.1)
It will then turn off Wifi-Link if nothing is connected - the Status LED will be Off. So then it is like nothing is running.

Post subject: Re: Tail setup
PostPosted: Wed 07. Nov 2018 9:54:44 

When I was setting up my heli yesterday I had to apply the maximum subtrim available in the software to my tail servo to center it.

I have used a beastx and vbar on the same heli and never had this problem. Seems to me that it might be the same problem.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, I had to max out my trim on the 6 degree calibration and I'm not a 0 degree angle at 50% pitch/throttle, but -2 degree. Easy to fix with pitch curve setup though, but would be nice if it was just working.