It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:26:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 16. Sep 2018 8:43:13 

I have a Trex550efl with spirit and geolink.
I'm trying to learn to fly inverted and have tried a few times 15 meters high (in case I have any issues), but would prefer to try it lower as it is easier with orientation.

So, my plan is to use a lower altitude limit at 3 meters.

I tried it yesterday and found if I hit the limit, the heli shot up about 15 meters (1.5 seconds on rescue mode??).

Can you suggest any settings so the heli will return above 3 meters but go no higher than say 5 meters?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon 17. Sep 2018 4:43:32 

I believe that the current 1.5 sec will eventually become a user defined time in a future firmware update rather than a fixed time.
You could in the meantime reduce your Rescue Pitch in the main Spirit settings however keep in mind that if the Heli was falling fast and you (or the GeoLink) activate Rescue , it will reduce the potential of it being saved from hitting the ground as it will take longer for it to overcome the downward momentum.

PostPosted: Mon 17. Sep 2018 16:18:37 

From previous thread answered by Tomas,how fast the rescue kicks in can also be upped.The default is 7 and you can increase that.
Also,if you want it to not go further than 5m,that's when altitude hold comes in,where its engaged is where the heli will stay.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon 17. Sep 2018 20:23:25 

So I'm ok to set 3m lower limit with 8m upper limit?

I would have thought it would go from max collective to slightly negative to stop it??

I'll have to test it next time I'm down the field. I won't be trying it in the garden again!

PostPosted: Mon 17. Sep 2018 23:26:22 

ianboom wrote:
So I'm ok to set 3m lower limit with 8m upper limit?

I would have thought it would go from max collective to slightly negative to stop it??

I'll have to test it next time I'm down the field. I won't be trying it in the garden again!

You might find your hitting both lower and upper limits during the automatic 1.5 sec Rescue. Probably be a good idea to set the upper limit at least at 10m to give it a little more room.

I know my Warp goes more than 5m in the 1.5 sec GeoLink activated Rescue when it hits the lower limit !

PostPosted: Tue 18. Sep 2018 5:54:06 

That's what I was wondering, whether it would hit full collective both ways.

A gentle lift back above the minimum height was what I was hoping for.

I hoped somebody would suggest something like using altitude hold to help inverted hovering or combination of settings as I don't have much experience with the geolink.

PostPosted: Tue 18. Sep 2018 14:32:52 

You cannot have all three.

1. a low hard deck
2. gentle and smooth recovery
3. protection from dirt naps during a fast dive

PostPosted: Thu 20. Sep 2018 5:43:30 

ianboom wrote:
That's what I was wondering, whether it would hit full collective both ways.

A gentle lift back above the minimum height was what I was hoping for.

I hoped somebody would suggest something like using altitude hold to help inverted hovering or combination of settings as I don't have much experience with the geolink.

The use of Self Level Acro is the aid you need to employ to help you come to terms with inverted flight at least in the early stages and first attempts. You don't want to come to rely on it more than necessary however.

drparker151 is correct , you can't have your cake and eat it too !

You can easily dial back your Rescue Pitch to achieve the response your after however by doing so , elevate the likelyhood of hitting the deck if the model is traveling at a fast rate towards the ground when either yourself or the GeoLink employ Rescue !
Do you understand ? There is a trade-off !!

Maybe future updates will address the kind of situation your after. The set 1.5 seconds of Rescue currently being deployed by the GeoLink is definitely going to become a user defined time in future development . Lowering this time will help you to some extent obviously. These guys deliver the goods when it comes to the progressive development of features available in their hardware !!
If they feel something can be improved you can almost bet on it being done however it all takes time so be patient.
I've had a Spirit unit for over 4 years and still a copy of V1.1 firmware. The development of the Gyro over this time has been constant and continues to improve and add new features. If you saw what V1 firmware offered , you would't think the same unit would be capable of doing what is possible now. I have 12 firmware updates saved out that show the development of the unit from then until now (Ver 2.5.1) and not sure that I have all that were released.

Brilliant is the best word that comes to mind to describe their commitment to improving their products and I'm sure the GeoLink will be no different. Just be patient , where at ver 1.1 so early days and am sure lots to come !!!

PostPosted: Thu 20. Sep 2018 8:46:39 

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I understand what you're saying (typing!).

I think I need to try either a softer bail out with little collective pitch (which got me thinking, it would be good to be able to set the bail out for separately for each geolink feature, then I could set soft bail out for practising inverted hovering and still be able to use my normal bail out with a higher collective on my 'panic' switch) or perhaps altitude hold as If I use self level, I won't be able to practise aileron/elevator control??

Hopefully, when the new bail out feature mentioned is released (adjusting the bail out time length and/or full collective returning to zero collective as with the Vbar) this will help too.

Ian