It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:06:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 12:23:34 

Have calibrated my units Compass several times now and the result is the same every time.
It keeps showing WEST as it's NORTH.
I don't have it mounted now to be sure it's not interference from the Heli itself and still getting exactly the same result.
I have taken outside to be sure no local interference is the cause.
Is there anything you can think of that would cause an issue like this ?
I have obviously re-flashed the Firmware and tried everything I can think of.
Any help appreciated.
I must also mention that as well as the Compass calibrating 90Deg incorrect consistently , the GeoLink window TABS keep dropping out .
The Tab at each end (Connection and Update) stay available however the center 3 Tabs become unavailable until I click on the first Tab (Connection) again. The Spirit Software remains connected the whole time.
I have tried 3 different Cables connecting the two units and get the same results.
Very frustrating and hoping there is something I can do that may rectify these issues.

Van.

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 12:45:28 

The manual says:

When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this.

Do you have taken this into account?

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 12:46:10 
Site Admin

Hello,

regarding compass heading I guess that there is no issue at all. It shouldn't be possible to calibrate it incorrectly actually. If done improperly in whatever way you would see rather heading off by 5-10°. But it is not technically possible to get it off by 90°. It is only possible to perform calibration rather well.
So instead of this I would like to ask how you are measuring the angle? What is telling you it is actually west but not north?

Regarding connection instability this is something that should not happen. Do you use original supplied GeoLink cable? If yes, is it inserted fully in the connectors?
Do you have any other computer to compare? Do you use Wifi-Link or USB interface?

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 14:19:47 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

regarding compass heading I guess that there is no issue at all. It shouldn't be possible to calibrate it incorrectly actually. If done improperly in whatever way you would see rather heading off by 5-10°. But it is not technically possible to get it off by 90°. It is only possible to perform calibration rather well.
So instead of this I would like to ask how you are measuring the angle? What is telling you it is actually west but not north?

Regarding connection instability this is something that should not happen. Do you use original supplied GeoLink cable? If yes, is it inserted fully in the connectors?
Do you have any other computer to compare? Do you use Wifi-Link or USB interface?

I’m using an analog Compass as reference to see West heading.
The unit is connected with the supplied cable. No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
I have the supplied Cable well inserted & have tried 2 other Spektrum cables all with the exact same results.
I have successfully got a regular flashlight light to indicate a good Cal however when I plug the unit back into the computer , 0 Deg , heading on the opening page of the GeoLink interface has the unit facing due West !

Should I not be paying attention to this heading reference showing on the software after Calibration?
This drop out keep occurring I’m afraid and everything appears to be hooked up correctly with supplied cables !

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 14:50:30 
Site Admin

Ah, it rather look like just a problem with Spirit Settings connection stability which is showing then wrong value of compass heading.
It should be smooth and update the heading value constantly, depending on how the module is placed.
So maybe it is rather just this one problem. But I have to admit that nobody else had such connection issue either.

Are you able to check connection stability with any other unit? Especially Spirit Pro.

The safest thing to verify the compass calibration is OK is Position Hold. But I believe it will be fine.

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 15:05:35 

At present I’m unable to try another unit. I will be next week.
So your saying it’s probably ok & to use position hold to check ?
Is it correct that the map cannot be rotated in the software to fit the Geofence neatly around a field that is not showing as square on the page ?
I would like to have the Geofence fit around the edge of the field however cannot!

PostPosted: Sat 11. Aug 2018 18:12:07 

The Tab at each end (Connection and Update) stay available however the center 3 Tabs become unavailable until I click on the first Tab (Connection) again. The Spirit Software remains connected the whole time.

Van.[/quote]

I have the same problem sporadically.

PostPosted: Sun 12. Aug 2018 4:50:03 

Yogi43 wrote:
The manual says:

When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this.

Do you have taken this into account?

Doh........ :oops:

There's my 90Deg (West) heading !
Thanks for pointing that out to me Yogi43 !
Assume Tomas didn't refer to it as you had already done so.

Right in front of me all along if I'd taken more time and gone back and read the Manual more carefully.
Could of saved myself quiet a frustrating day. At least I've got my Calibration technique sorted.
Bang on target taking this into account.

I can't remember this post being so high , simply must have just missed it somehow. Probably because I had been using Tapatalk(phone) rather than my PC yesterday??

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 7:32:50 
Site Admin

I am not sure if you have figured it, but 90 +/- 4° mean that angles such as 86° and 94° are still absolutely fine.

It would be good to just plug GeoLink in any other unit you have to compare the behavior, for sure it is not normal when software is not stable.
GeoLink require little bit more precise timing, so this could be reason why you can see instability only in the GeoLink window.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 7:53:35 

ZeXx86 wrote:
I am not sure if you have figured it, but 90 +/- 4° mean that angle angles such as 86° and 94° are still absolutely fine.

It would be good to just plug GeoLink in any other unit you have to compare the behavior, for sure it is not normal when software is not stable.
GeoLink require little bit more precise timing, so this could be reason why you can see instability only in the GeoLink window.

Yeh , thanks !
Totally missed that when reading the Manual. Was getting excellent results with the Calibrations I had done but was looking for North as 0deg not 90deg.
Probably won't be the only dummy who falls for this one so hope this Thread help them. Simply had assumed the usual convention where North is 0deg.
Be interesting to know why with the GeoLink it is seen as 90deg. Have never come across anything like this previously but it clearly is stated in the Manual so no excuses !!!! :oops: