It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 20:15:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 06. Jan 2019 15:06:26 

Hello,

Please find the settings attached. One other point worth mentioning is that the problem goes away when connected to Spirit Aero. It reoccurs immediately after the application is closed.

Attachments:
Bank2.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 73 times
Bank1.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 78 times
Bank0.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 79 times

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2019 12:45:36 

Hello,

Could you please help to troubleshoot this by running through the following steps:

1. Upload the settings attached to my previous post to a Spirit running Aero 1.3.0. This should ideally be one of the early units manufactured in 2014.
2. Connect analogue servos to the control surface channels including separate ailerons
3. Connect and bind a Spektrum satellite receiver, preferably to an EU DX9 transmitter
4. Restart the Tx and the Spirit unit
5. Watch and wait for any abnormal movement of the aileron servos
6. If you see any, try a PWM receiver
7. Report your findings back here, even if you saw no abnormal movement of the aileron servos

This shouldn't take long and will go a long way towards determining whether the problem is due to some sort incompatibility and/or is a software/hardware issue that can hopefully be fixed.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun 13. Jan 2019 21:36:29 
Site Admin

Hello,

we will verify your settings tomorrow.

Interestingly same setup is used by at least hundreds pilots around the world with Spirit Aero. Spektrum are quite popular. We are testing with their radios for years nearly each day.

PostPosted: Sun 13. Jan 2019 21:53:06 

Hello,

There may be hundreds of modellers using Aero with Spektrum, but hopefully not many of those are using DSMX/sats. I look forward to your findings tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 13:38:14 

Ok Spirit Aero users, I've purchased a Spektrum AR8000 receiver in order to do the test 3 posts above this one. A couple of recent threads about Aero being used on large, expensive and potentially dangerous models prompted me to get to the bottom of this.

The clear result is that DSMX and DSM2 sats cannot safely be used with the Aero firmware. I tried 5 different DSMX sats and 4 DSM2 sats, 3 new cables, 2 different BECs (both set to 5V) and different Spirit settings. All genuine hardware and every test resulted in servo jitter as well as small, cyclic aileron servo movements and eventual loss of connection in 7 out of 50 tests. Dual or single sats did not alter the results. Use of the AR8000 on the other hand resulted in jitter free servos, no uncommanded aileron servo movements and no connection losses.

Note that the relevance of this test may be limited because only one Spirit unit, one DX9 transmitter and one set of analogue servos were tested. Different components, versions or batches of either may not be affected by this issue. I suspect however that this affects all Spirit units running Aero with either DSM2 or DSMX sats, and probably the SPM4649T SRXL receiver as well.

The problem will probably be fixed with a future firmware update. Until then I recommend either not using this type of receiver or thoroughly testing the Tx/Rx connection beforehand.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 18:51:57 
Site Admin

Thank you very much for your report! That is very appreciated.

We were testing with iX12, DX8 and DX6e together with satellites this week and unfortunately found nothing wrong.
Actually we are testing with satellites from the beginning as we have two nearby pilots using them for years.

Can you tell me if you have tried both 22ms and 11ms frame rates?

We are sure we will find the issue.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 19:27:07 

Hello,

All of these tests were at a 22ms frame rate as I'm using analogue servos.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 19:49:08 
Site Admin

When servos are connected at the Spirit unit it does not matter if it is 11ms or no.
Because servo frequency is determined by Spirit settings - for example 50Hz.

So it is better to set it to 11ms. This could potentially change something because Spektrum radios are sending data in a different way.

PostPosted: Mon 21. Jan 2019 13:27:47 

The Spirit is now installed in a tight cockpit and I can't easily connect a satellite receiver to do any further testing. I will continue to use the PWM receiver for the time being.

I run a flying club and sometimes set up Spirit units in helis. I will try sats at a frame rate of 11ms with Aero if I get the opportunity. I may also try again with sats if the Geolink becomes available for use with Aero as I'll have to free up a channel.

PostPosted: Mon 15. Apr 2019 10:56:56 

Hi, I have to install a Spirit Pro with 2 DSMX satellites - 4 digital servos - esc YGE 100A - external 5A BEC , in an electric aerobatic plane class 70".
Reading the problems in this topic I'm afraid of having accidents due to the engine shutdown during the flight.

Better to connect to 11ms?
Horneteer have you done other tests with satellites and 11ms binding?
I would hate to sell the Spirit to switch to another stabilization system.
I've read that Spirit System has pilots flying DSMX satellites, but I'm a little scared.

Thanks for some replay.