It is currently Fri 26. Apr 2024 18:35:27

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 16. Mar 2017 20:06:25 

I like to use CROW (AKA Butterfly) whereby both ailerons deflect upwards about one-half way as the flaps are deployed; very useful for steep descents without gaining speed.

I can see how to configure the Tx/Rx to supply one or two aileron inputs and have two aileron outputs on the Aero, but I do not see how to configure CROW mixing within the Aero as, e.g., the Aura8 allows.

I wonder if making a crow "Mix" in my Tx, and feeding it into the Aero (Jeti Ex Bus) as the "Flap" input might then work if I simply control the direction of flap travel (up as well as down???) The only problem I see with this approach is that the Aero is manipulating the aileron channels as if they were flaps, but perhaps separate flap controls directly from the Rx might work in conjunction with upward deflected ailerons.

Hoping someone else has already addressed this and can tell me if this approach will work, or not.

UPDATE 17 March 2017: It works as I had hoped and rather nicely, also. As a test, I first created an output controlled by a three-position switch and enabled it as "Flaps" in the SW Wizard. Both aileron servos went up / remained neutral / went down; depending upon the position of the switch. I then disabled the switch.

Next, in the Jeti Tx, I then created a new function, "Crow Tuning", and associated it with the "Flap" channel as expected by the Spirit Aero Wizard; note, this is not the standard flap servos; they remain controlled by the Jeti Rx, outside of the Spirit Aero.

I then added a pair of cascading (master/slave) mixes controlled by the throttle channel (lower half, only) and a rotary knob. This way, the crow ailerons smoothly disappear as the throttle is advanced from idle to mid-point. The amount of upward deflected ailerons is controlled by the first mix (50%) and the second mix (100% rotary knob.) Delays set, appropriately. The result is a smooth deflection of both ailerons accompanied by a smooth restore to normal either by switch or by the first half of the throttle.

I was convinced that Spirit would not leave sport pilots in the cold for such features as CROW, but I could not find any documentation, anywhere; hence this experiment that worked.

Thank you.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed 22. Mar 2017 21:49:19 
Site Admin

Hi,

thank you very much for your description and details!
I believe that this will be helpfull for others.

We will add more info to manual regarding this.

PostPosted: Thu 23. Mar 2017 9:19:19 

Good Morning.

Keep me posted if you have updated the english version of the manual.
I will do the german translation again.

Regards
Ingbert

PostPosted: Mon 15. May 2017 18:41:51 

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to enjoy the Spirit Aero first time last weekend in an EDF Jet and I also use the crow mix for landing ( flaps down -> aileron up )
as well in combination with elevator ( elevator up -> aileron up a few mm) to induce a geometrical washout, especially helpful for sharp turns to minimize the risk of stall.

It looks like, that both aileron channels CHA 1 and CHA 3 are connected like a Y-wire and that you can only assign a Rx channel with CHA 1, therefor
separate aileron deflection is not possible without some tweaks.

Here is my wishlist: Please split the Aileron in the receiver channel mapping page into two, like Aileron left and Aileron right and allow CHA 3 to assign it's own Rx channel.

Greetings from Germany,
Guido

PostPosted: Tue 16. May 2017 2:57:51 

Guido, you could create two mixes in your Tx; the first as I described in my original post (updated) and the second for elevator to aileron that you desire. Simply have the elevator mix go to the "FLAPS" channel much as the original post, first mix does.

The Spirit Aero will process the mixed signal properly and give you what you are seeking. What Tx brand are you using? I fly with Jeti equipment and I suspect it would take less than five minutes to accomplish what you would like; unsure about other brand Tx, though - sorry.

Michael
Guido M. wrote:
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to enjoy the Spirit Aero first time last weekend in an EDF Jet and I also use the crow mix for landing ( flaps down -> aileron up )
as well in combination with elevator ( elevator up -> aileron up a few mm) to induce a geometrical washout, especially helpful for sharp turns to minimize the risk of stall.

It looks like, that both aileron channels CHA 1 and CHA 3 are connected like a Y-wire and that you can only assign a Rx channel with CHA 1, therefor
separate aileron deflection is not possible without some tweaks.

Here is my wishlist: Please split the Aileron in the receiver channel mapping page into two, like Aileron left and Aileron right and allow CHA 3 to assign it's own Rx channel.

Greetings from Germany,
Guido

PostPosted: Tue 16. May 2017 5:43:01 

Hi Michael,

many thanks for your proposal, I will try it in the next days.
I also use Jeti (DC 16).

Greetings,
Guido