It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 11:03:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Level indicator
PostPosted: Thu 27. Sep 2018 3:03:43 

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Spirit’s level function to switch on when the unit is level and turns off when not at level position. This Could help new pilot.

Post subject: Re: Level indicator
PostPosted: Thu 27. Sep 2018 8:09:37 
Site Admin

I am sorry, but I don't understand in what way it should help the pilots.
How you want to switch indicator on? And where the indicator should be displayed?

PostPosted: Thu 27. Sep 2018 21:29:58 

New pilots have a hard time keeping the heli level while learning nose in . I was wanting to put an LED on the bottom of the heli that would turn on when the heli is in the Level position and stay on only while level. When not level it would be off. I was also thinking a switch that would turn the feature on and off.

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 14:22:01 

In my opinion it would be very hard for a beginner who cant proper hover look at an additional thing than the heli itself. And even more if we are talking of a light.
There cant be anything more obvious than a heli that is not level, regardless of its orientation, because it will start to drift. Then the beginner can start to correct in the opposite direction.
With a light he would just see he is not level, but not what he has to do... And the rotordisc is bigger than any light.

Other than that i strongly recommend a simulator, then nose in is a matter of some hours.

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 14:32:32 

As someone who is still closer to learning to hover than doing 3D, I don't think it would help. The Heli is not level when it is hovering anyway.

However, I do think it would be great for setup, knowing the FBL is sitting level while I work on leveling the swash and setting pitch etc..

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 14:53:01 

drparker151 wrote:
As someone who is still closer to learning to hover than doing 3D, I don't think it would help. The Heli is not level when it is hovering anyway.

However, I do think it would be great for setup, knowing the FBL is sitting level while I work on leveling the swash and setting pitch etc..

This is a great idea and definitv a worthy and awesome feature. And additional telemtry value for this, would be nice (no hardware changes needed).

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 19:43:39 

actually i think not so useful to know how is the fbl while you are leveling the swash or setting the pitch

the level of the swash is always related to the main shaft so you can use a swash leveler
regardless of how the fbl is leveled (or the cheap zip-tie method)

and also for the pitch, when you know that the blade is perpendicular to the main shaft
(just use a screwdriver of the proper diameter inside the blade hole and look if is parallel to the shaft)
then you put on the blades and with a digital pitch gauge, you set the 0° then is all relative to that angle

IMHO

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 19:59:30 
Site Admin

For learning how to hover we have GeoLink or few stabilisation modes.
You do not have to watch any LED lights.

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 23:44:34 

urgno wrote:
actually i think not so useful to know how is the fbl while you are leveling the swash or setting the pitch

the level of the swash is always related to the main shaft so you can use a swash leveler
regardless of how the fbl is leveled (or the cheap zip-tie method)

and also for the pitch, when you know that the blade is perpendicular to the main shaft
(just use a screwdriver of the proper diameter inside the blade hole and look if is parallel to the shaft)
then you put on the blades and with a digital pitch gauge, you set the 0° then is all relative to that angle

IMHO

For me, all of my FBL are mounted 90 Degrees to the main shaft. So it would help and be much easier than a bubble level.

PostPosted: Sun 30. Sep 2018 23:50:30 

i did not talk about any bubble level ;-)
and btw ALL fbl HAS to be mounted 90° to main shaft