It is currently Thu 06. Jun 2024 11:45:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 30. Mar 2016 14:36:41 

elfew wrote:
1) Disabled Governor in Spirit (Save and Powercycle Spirit)
2) Set in TX throttle curve - linear curve 0% 25% 50% 75% 100% in the throttle curve tab
3) Lowered Range min and max in servo travel tab for throttle to 30% (for min and max)
4) Turn off the spirit (and ESC)
5) Turn off throttle hold, move your throttle stick to the max position AND POWER ON YOUR ESC AND SPIRIT
6) slowly add % in servo travel (throttle max) tab until you hear beeps from your ESC, then add two more % (2%)
7) move your throttle stick to the lowest possition
8) slowly add % in servo travel tab until you hear beeps from your ESC, then add two more % (2%)
9) Now, unplug battery
10) ESC throttle calibration is done!

I have DX9 with Castle Phoenix ICE 100A on one of my bird with 2xDSMX satelites. This method works without any problem

This didn't really work for me (YGE 90LV, Graupner Hott). Also calibrating the TX/RX to get 0-100% on the Spirit diagnostic tab doesn't work because the range is too low for the YGE throttle calibration to work. What I did:

1) Use the full range on TX (-100 to 100). Using the telemetry menu, adjust the centre-point trim in the RX such that minimum and maximum are the same amount beyond 0-100 on the Spirit diagnostic display (I got -9 to 109).
2) With governor disabled, calibrate the ESC to the TX like usual (turn on with full throttle, then set minimum).
3) Calculate scale factor: the diagnostic shows 59% above centre (50%) maximum, so we want to divide by 59 and multiply by 50. 50/59 = 1.18. (In theory this doesn't need to be the same above 50% as below, but it's easier if it is.)
4) In the Spirit governor set-up, the default end-points are 1100 and 1900, so 1500 centre and 400 up/down. Multiply this 400 by the scale factor (400 × 1.18 = 472 or approx. 470), and add/subtract to get 1030 and 1970. Use these as your new endpoints.
5) Enable governor and set-up as normal:
a) "sensor divider" is number of magnet poles, or number of magnets in outer can / 2
b) "gear ratio" is usually main gear teeth / pinion teeth
c) Use the Mr. Mel head-speed calculator with governor disabled to find the maximum head-speed at start-up, and set this as "maximum head speed" in the governor set-up.
d) I can't advise on other parameters; you have to try and then tweak them.
6) Set up your radio with flat throttle curves. You can see what the head-speed should be for each throttle value in the bottom of the governor set-up GUI window. Use Mr. Mel again to find sensible speeds to run at.
7) Set your "autorotation bail-out" via a throttle speed of something like 5-10% on the radio (you have to test that the ESC does not drive the motor at this value). In theory so long as throttle does not go to zero and is not low for more than around 30s, start-up will be very fast — but I'm not really sure on this.

PostPosted: Wed 30. Mar 2016 16:02:25 
Site Admin

With the latest firmware it can be very easy.

1. Put your ESC to the factory settings.
2. Find default Throttle Signal range (specifications of the ESC)
3. Put these values into the software (very often it is 1100us and 1900us)

You are done.

PostPosted: Wed 30. Mar 2016 16:06:27 

ZeXx86 wrote:
With the latest firmware it can be very easy.

1. Put your ESC to the factory settings.
2. Find default Throttle Signal range (specifications of the ESC)
3. Put these values into the software (very often it is 1100us and 1900us)

You are done.

I don't know how to reset a YGE ESC to factory range. I'd also have to figure out what the RX output is in μs, but this might be possible via telemetry menu.

Hmm, good idea I guess.

PostPosted: Wed 30. Mar 2016 16:15:48 
Site Admin

It does not matter what is output of the RX.
YGE resetting procedure is quite strange, but it works.

It is possible with sticks - start with 100% TC, when it beeps initial tones you have to put your stick back to 0% TC. When you will hear confirmation tone it is done. Sometimes it is quite hard to do this and it can take you more than 10 times.
You have to find correct timing of the sticks.

PostPosted: Wed 30. Mar 2016 18:08:49 

Then you mis-understand: that calibrates range to the RX output, and it only works when the throttle is high enough at the start and low enough later (which is why I couldn't make it work when calibrating the TX to the Spirit diagnostic tab).

Seriously, did you ever check how Skookum does this? Waaaaay easier.

PostPosted: Thu 31. Mar 2016 7:01:05 

@ Cyled, this thread is related to FW 1.3.1 with latest FW 2.0 things are different.
For ESC/GOV troubleshooting and understanding, plug a Servo with Y-Cable onto ESC Port to see whats going to the ESC.

The way TC works changed completely from 1.3 to 2.0.
In Version 2.0 you tell Spirit whats 0..100% on diagnostics. Where hold is 0% and full is 100%
Normally this matches -125 +125 in TX Monitor on Spektrum.

Next in Spirit you tell Spirit, what it should send as lowest value to ESC (min Range) and whats full TC (max range)
this values are hard limits, think of TC servos in nitro which should not go over these limits as things might bend.
So, Spirit will match 0% to min rang value and 100% to max rang value.
Now, its obvious, changing (increasing) Servo range in TX at this stage won't do anything towards ESC as range min max are hard limits.
Put 1100us and 1900us in range values to start, if your ESC won‘t init, lower the min value, till it initiates.
Same for max range, if your ESC does not recognize max, higher the max range till ESC does and you are done.
It's relay that easy

1st: Adjust what's coming into Spirit (Diagnostics)
2nd: Tell Spirt what ranges can be used to match 0..100% towards ESC

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /

Last edited by Adrian on Thu 31. Mar 2016 8:44:00, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 31. Mar 2016 7:33:56 
Site Admin

cycled: I understand it perfectly. With the latest version calibration is so easy that you actually do not have to do calibration if you know the values that are specified by manufacturer.
It is not related with your transmitter or receiver at all.
So the governor can be ready for usage just in a few seconds.

PostPosted: Thu 31. Mar 2016 22:22:14 

So you're saying that Spirit doesn't output the values it receives when governor is disabled (since, presumably turning the governor on or off should not require recalibration)?

So,
1) the TX should be adjusted to get 0-100% on the diagnostic tab,
2) the throttle end points should be set to whatever the ESC requires,
3) (possibly) the ESC calibration should be re-run to make sure it's using these end points?

If so, this has the disadvantage that one cannot plug the ESC directly into the receiver and expect it to work without recalibration, but I guess we don't normally do that.

BTW which bit changed in version 2? I didn't notice any change here. End points were added in 1.3 IIRC.

PostPosted: Fri 01. Apr 2016 4:41:37 

I think in your (2) you should clarify that the end points you talk about are the Spirit min and max... otherwise it's not clear if you are doing it right.

There are different types of ESCs.

Some calibrate to your signal (the ones that just require you to "show" them max stick and min stick) and some require you to change your max and min values until they like it. The Spirit min and max are mainly for those.

AFAIK, Spirit 2.X will always consider both the signal you send from the TX and the min/max settings, even if you are not using the Spirit governor (that's why the settings are available), and kinda "remap" the value to the other range.

EDIT: the "visible" change of 2.X is the min and max values being espressed in microseconds so to be able to set them up directly if the ESC manual specifies what it expects.

PostPosted: Fri 01. Apr 2016 7:01:26 

min max range got added in Version 2.0, this are now hard limits, allays in effect as soon as you use Spirit for ESC connection.
Before there was some % Values to influence range, which caused problems. With min max there are hard limits, as I said, think of combustion Servos which should not go over some limits as things might bend.
Think of ESC like an other Servo in your FBL system, as with every other servo you use limits (Rudder Endpoints, Cylic ring, Pitch range), These limits are set in FBL to avoid any bend, so the concept is very straight forward.

1) TX is matched to Spirit Input 0..100%, to get perfect reference
2) Spirits needs to know what ranges it is allowed to use
3) Spirit will map this to ranges together

If you follow your steps, your done.

Beside, with min max Range you can adjust exactly whats been calibrated before, so no recalibration needs to be done.
How to find these values, just increase, decrease range till it works, or plug a Servo direct or with Y-Cable to ESC Port, to your previous setup, note/mark it's limits. Set ranges in you new setup, till Servos moves to same limits and your done.

Comment, if you plug your ESC directly to your Receiver (RX), TC is full and only controlled by Transmitter (TX), as Spirit is not involved in TC control at all, in this case things work as before.

Oxy4max SpiritPro + HW // SOXOS 550, SpiritPro, HW120A V4, 920KV // SOXOS 600, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro650 // SOXOS Strike7, SpiritPro, HW160A, Pyro750 // Skywing Spirit Aero // FrSky Horus X10S + Taranis X7 /