It is currently Thu 25. Apr 2024 12:09:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 30. Aug 2015 21:20:31 

Hello,

one of these days i'm going to buy new spirit unit, my first one. Until now i've only flown with beastx, but i'm making a change now and i'd really like if you could help me make my last check, so that i have everything i need.
  • the unit itself
  • sbus converter
  • usb interface
  • Hobbywing Brushless RPM sensor

I'm going to use the unit with futaba radio, with s-bus reciever so that i can use governor. Is the hobbywing rpm sensor supported by your unit?

PostPosted: Sun 30. Aug 2015 21:28:39 
Site Admin

Hello,

thank you very much for your interest!

You will need only Spirit product + S-Bus adapter cable.
USB interface and all necessary stuff is already included in the box.

HobbyWing RPM sensor is supported and is working well.

PostPosted: Sun 30. Aug 2015 21:31:40 

Thank you very much for fast response. ;)

PostPosted: Thu 03. Sep 2015 21:40:55 

Hey,

i hope i can use this thread for some further questions.

I just purchased the unit, and i'll be installing it on my protos 500. I have a question regarding power supply. I'm using castle ice 75 with integrated BEC. If i want to power also the unit, can i just make Y-cable, or should i remove the white wire (signal) from the part that goes to spirit system?

PostPosted: Thu 03. Sep 2015 22:19:44 
Site Admin

Hi,

you can connect ESC/BEC directly to the unit (AUX) port. Or if there are more output leads from the BEC, you can connect slave also to the receiver to any free port.

There is also possibility to connect ESC to the receiver directly and then the unit will be powered by S-Bus inverter. If you will connect second power supply cable between RX and unit, then it will also work very well.

PostPosted: Wed 09. Sep 2015 15:16:40 

Hey.

I got everything i need today, and i have another question. I went ahead and bought the hobbywing sensor. If i make Y-cable to power both reciever and spirit, do i need to power also the sensor or does it get it's power from the spirit?

PostPosted: Wed 09. Sep 2015 15:26:06 
Site Admin

Great.

Sensor should be powered separately. Hobbywing can be powered directly from the BEC, so you can hook + and - to your receiver to any free port.
You still do not need any Y-harness. ESC can be connected to the unit, while your receiver can be powered through the inverter cable.

PostPosted: Wed 09. Sep 2015 15:39:44 

Ok, thanks.

If i put + and - to the reciever, do i put the signal (rpm) to the unit (need another connector)? resolved

What about if i'm powering directly from from 2S lipo. Is sbus inverter good enough or will i fry it?

edit: I have couple more questions, i'll try to make them as short as possible but and as clear as i can.

I'm setting up my first spirit on protos 500 at the moment. I have s-bus receiver and the s-bus converter cable. I have connected all servo cables into the unit and the converter is making connection between spirit and receiver. No problems so far. I have 2 ports free on spirit, sys and aux. Sys is only for USB dongle. The only free port than is aux, which is reserver for ESC signal. If i connect esc (also bec) directly to spirit, do i have to assign throttle channle in the "channels" tab? While on the topic of channel, what do channel numbers even mean. By deafault they dont match with futaba assigned channels.

Lets take for example throttle. Futaba has throttle on channel3, but on spirit unit, channel 3 is assigned to elevator. Does this mean i have to change, so that throttle is channel 3, and then assign elevator to some other channel?

When i'm done configuring this heli with spirit, i'll have to test it, and if i'm sattisfied with the unit, i'll buy more of them for other helis.
For bigger helis, i'm running power supply directly from 2s lipo. Now the problem with this is, that i have to put power to AUX channel from lipo and i also need AUX channel for the throttle input. Will i have to make Y-harness so that i can fit both cables into the AUX port?

This is it. I'm really sorry for bothering you so much, but for some reason i'm having really hard time understading this "channels" menu and governor/throttle setup.

PostPosted: Sun 13. Sep 2015 10:31:04 
Site Admin

Yes, our S-Bus inverter can be powered even with 15V supply so 2S is without any problem.

Channel numbering does not need to match as each manufacturer has different numbering.

You can connect Throttle (ESC) even directly to the receiver if you are not using governor from the unit. In case that you are using Governor, you have to assign Throttle. Mostly it is Channel 1 in the software.

If you have external BEC and AUX and RUD ports are already used, you will need Y-cable.
With PWM (classic) connection Y cables are not needed as the power is always passed through the receiver where you have mostly lot of unused ports.

This cable can perform very well:
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/2083 ... 3?ref=list

If you will need more free ports, you can use our new Spirit Pro, it is great for bigger helicopters.

You are welcome!