It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 14:44:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 31. Jan 2016 16:22:54 

Hello,
over here (South West Britain) we get a lot of light rain (sometimes more like walking through a cloud than actual rain). Back in the Autumn I had one issue: 2-3 flights were fine, then after plugging the next battery in and picking up the TX, the servos didn't move. I presume this was a result of a little water getting in the Spirit unit. The ESC still made the usual start-up beeps, and later (several days later) the Spirit worked fine again.

Since then I've been paranoid about avoiding damp conditions, but I'd like to be able to fly more (it's not very cold, just damp). I've been recommended to use CorrosionX for water protection, which some people say is fine even for complete water immersion. Would this be a good idea? It's available as an aerosol spray, so I think it should be possible to apply it properly without opening up the case.

Or is there a good alternative? I've wrapped the unit with cling-film, which seems to work, but it's annoying to get on right and I worry it might still let water in.

PostPosted: Mon 01. Feb 2016 10:49:26 
Site Admin

Hello,

what I recommend is just to use maybe hot glue for the connectors so the rain can't get into the unit.

During the incident, do you remember if servos were moving with movement of the helicopter or only for TX?
Maybe the problem was very different.

CorrosionX may work fine as well.

PostPosted: Mon 01. Feb 2016 11:13:14 

During that incident the servos were not moving from either TX input or moving the heli, and it was all servos, so I think it was the Spirit. But I've used it plenty since then. Water can cause temporary glitches.

I've never used hot-glue. Is that going to be easy to remove? Is it going to be a pain anytime I want to attach the sys cable for programming?

PostPosted: Mon 01. Feb 2016 15:24:04 

Hi mate I use hot glue a lot and it just comes off if you rub it hard , clear silicone will do the job as well and that will come off easy too make sure you seal the sat ports too , if you cut a small bit of plastic to cover the pins of the data port or fit a servo plug into it this will stop glue or sealer getting into the pins will make it easier when you need to plug spirit into the PC next time