It is currently Mon 13. May 2024 16:41:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Improvements on logging
PostPosted: Sun 27. Aug 2023 15:21:17 

Thomas, don't get me wrong, Spirit works great for me. I have 7 units and never consider any other system, happy with Spirit.

However I consider "logging" in Spirit to be its weak part, especially in comparison to Brain/Ikon. I wonder if something could be improved here.

Problems I see:
1. The solution with storing a log of "previous flight" only if there was some problem in it, never worked for me reliably (in 6 years I use Spirits)
2. Advanced Logging in Spirit GT must be fun, but isn't really useful for diagnosing problems
3. With Ethos we are out if luck as there's no log viewing capability in the field

On p. 1 - Normal logging
Few remarks
- in some configurations, depending on backup power type and receiver, Spirit will write "previous flight" log even if there were no issues. This is because there are some issues while disconnecting power after flight. Maybe receiver stops working first and Spirit gets failsafe or receiver signal lost. Or voltage becomes too low and Spirit logs that. A lot of weird things happen when disconnecting power. This causes Spirit to log and later report issues even if there weren't any.
- I saw many times, even with 3.5 software situations, when Spirit tells that there is "previous flight log" available. But when checking this log, there is just a bunch of "good health" messages and nothing more. No errors.
- I had issues in the past that reading "previous flight log" from radio did not clear it. So we were left with no logging. I'm not sure if any of this was fixed.
- When powering on Spirit, it indicates with "swash movements" if there is some previous flight log to check. But this indication is so similar to normal swash movement, that is is really hard to notice.
- And on top of that, on Ethos it isn't possible to read and clear this "previous flight log".
- When we have a crash and reason is unknown, we check in Spirit and have no log. We have to trust that there were no issues Spirit could detect. But it would really add to confidence if we could just see the log, even if there are no errors in it.

All of this makes this system unreliable to me and I just never check these logs and ignore different swash movements at startup if there are some.

Proposition for improvement:
--------------------------------
- Could we have an option, at least in Spirit GT to just write all logs, independent if there is any error or not, so we can check them whenever we want?
- Could we have these "swash movements" when Spirit reports, that there were some issues in previous flight, be easier to notice? Like, so they would sound different, maybe move swash 6 times instead of 3 or something like this?

On 2. Advanced Logging - Spirit GT
- It seems to be made more for fun, to see flight graphs, positions etc. and it's probably great to use.
- But to help on finding out what was a reason for some failure in flight, it isn't really useful.

Proposition for improvement:
--------------------------------
Could we have these added to the log (if enabled in configuration):
- Output values used for driving all servos
- any additional info which is available about servos (current, voltage, whatever Spirit can detect)
- other outputs (CH0, aux)
- anything - maybe some PID error factors? - which would help to detect situations when servo has a problem (for example is stuck) and Spirit can't reach desired cyclic or pitch because of that

On p. 3 - Ethos support
This is addressed in other threads already.
I'm sure this takes time to develop, but maybe if it is too complex, maybe we could get sth done in community (I'm happy to help).

PostPosted: Sun 27. Aug 2023 17:26:15 

azaz44 wrote:
- in some configurations, depending on backup power type and receiver, Spirit will write "previous flight" log even if there were no issues. This is because there are some issues while disconnecting power after flight. Maybe receiver stops working first and Spirit gets failsafe or receiver signal lost. Or voltage becomes too low and Spirit logs that. A lot of weird things happen when disconnecting power. This causes Spirit to log and later report issues even if there weren't any.

share in full
the geolink v2 on my 500 no error message.
I disassembled the geolink and mounted on my 580 and now every time that I fly when I disconnect the unit exit one errore geolink connection is broken but the model flies very well and I've come to the conclusion that doesn't depend on me.
I can't record geolink logs
and I deactivated altitude limit geolink for this reason.
No errors on the table

PostPosted: Sun 27. Aug 2023 20:19:07 
Site Admin

Thank you for your message.

We are working as hard as possible. So I can't promise any change now, because there is already too many new things that we are working on.

The most things that you mentioned for GT are already there in the advanced logging.
There is no possibility for FBL unit to measure any parameter from servo you mentioned unless they are sending telemetry data.
But there is only one or two brands which is doing this actually, from which one is near bankrupcy.

GT units are storing all flights. For example even 500 flights. But more parameters will be added, this is not a problem. Especially about receiver signal and connection. For GT a lot improvements regarding logging are possible.
Logging such as Brain has mean that flash memory is wearing with each flight (there is no dedicated memory chip), causing that depending on usage it will die sooner or later.
These memories have about 10 000 cycles total for each page. For this reason we have special memory chips in GT/GTR/W1 units that can store a lot of the logs with no wear.

Some changes can be added quite soon I believe.

PostPosted: Sun 27. Aug 2023 21:04:25 

Thanks for answering Thomas. It's great to know this will be considered in future.

As for memory wear - yes I know about the problem, but this is why improvements could be made in GT only.

I checked what can be logged in GT and I don't see servo signals. I think they are critical to diagnose problems, so if this could be added - this would be great. Unfortunately I had big helis go down because of servo issues 5x in a year, and I really missed such feature.