It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 20:07:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 20. Sep 2020 21:48:56 

Hello to all!

I have recently setup my Spirit controller: PPM/DSMX and it seems to be working well except for one problem: I take off OK and it seems fine, then (usually early in the flight) The heli will start to move backwards if I let off the cyclic instead of staying in one place (no wind).. So I give it forward cyclic but it doesn't respond, so I quickly land. Then all is well again and it doesn't happen again until maybe the next day. It almost seems like the forward or elevator calibration is wrong but it comes right back.

I don't know what to make of this. I don't know if there is something wrong with the receiver or transmitter or possibly Spirit. Is there anything known that could cause this? It only seems to happen with forward/backward where the forward cyclic simply doesn't work.

CD

PostPosted: Sat 17. Oct 2020 23:18:51 

This is still a problem....

The setup works fine 90% of the time, then suddenly Spirit ignores my cyclic commands.. I think it's typically in one direction...once this happens full cyclic in that direction has no affect...the input starts normal, then lessons and lesson until full cyclic in one direction does nothing... I can't find the pattern yet but collective is not affected and once I land I can take off again and the problem is gone.... But this is a serious (and dangerous) problem...

Any ideas please??

PostPosted: Sun 18. Oct 2020 7:22:29 
Site Admin

Hello,

am I right that you are flying in a stabilisation mode permanently?
If so, then enable: Expert settings/Signal processing - extended.
If this will help, then the problem was caused by excess vibrations unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon 19. Oct 2020 9:34:36 

Hello,

Yes I am flying maximum stabilization. I also had the "stabi correction" checked.. I'll turn that off and check the "extended processing" and see how it goes.

Thank you...

PostPosted: Mon 19. Oct 2020 23:02:45 

I moved Spirit to a different location on the model as a precaution...also made the changes suggested. Changed "Sticks priority" from 1 to 2...

Things are not looking good.

I took off and after hovering ok for a couple of minutes I turned the ship with rudder input and lost correct cyclic control, landed.

Once I landed it was clear that Spirit "forgot" where level swash was... Swash was not level even though I landed and stick was centered (but it was fine before). Tried to take off but swash now wanted to go forward when centered... Moved sticks around and at some point swash leveled again...

Then I figured out how to duplicate the error. If I takeoff, hover, then move cyclic left and then right, left, then right again, somewhat erratically but slowly I can get the unit to lose, or 'forget' where center/level is. So, left, right, left, right and I can have the stick FULL right and the model thinks it's basically level and only moves very slowly to the right where earlier it would move sharply to the right....if I hold the stick full right then it begins to "think" THAT is center and then moves left if I move from right toward center...so it's losing where it thinks level is … it's "forgetting'...center...

Now the only thing I can think of that happened to this unit is that one time weeks ago the unit got damp when it rained but I didn't think it was a big deal... I opened it up and did not see any moisture. Still, I'm not positive that there was no moisture at all. Could that explain this very odd behaivior? i can't imagine any setting that would explain this. As it is I can't use the controller.

PostPosted: Tue 20. Oct 2020 7:26:11 
Site Admin

Hello,

thank you for your explanation. Described behavior is really wrong.
Can you please share your value of Sticks Deadband in the Expert Settings?

Also please press this keys: CTRL+ALT+M
After this you should see three values, can you rewrite them here?

I think there are at least two problems and they are making the issue together.

When you will land the swashplate should always correct itself even if there is such problem. This is not happening obviously which points that one sensor is not working and was turned off possibly. With this we can find it.

PostPosted: Tue 20. Oct 2020 21:16:45 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Can you please share your value of Sticks Deadband in the Expert Settings?

Value is 6

ZeXx86 wrote:
Also please press this keys: CTRL+ALT+M
After this you should see three values, can you rewrite them here?

533 169 1932 < Not sitting on level surface
4 107 2009 < Sitting on fairly level surface

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed 21. Oct 2020 7:23:16 
Site Admin

Thank you very much. Values are looking good.

But since recently I realized you are flying almost all the time in stabilisation the problem is making more sense now.

Regarding swashplate that is not returning back - this behavior could be different between stabilisation and normal flight mode.
In normal flight mode you will not encounter this issue. It is all related only to the stabilisation I guess.

In normal flight mode - On the other hand, when you are on the bench and you will move with sticks and the motor is running or there are a vibrations/movements, the swashplate will not return to the center. This is also correct and normal behavior. Only once model is with zero movement, the swashplate will return back. In the flight behavior is different, because there is feedback from the model movement.

In stabilisation - during flight the measurement of the horizontal position could be wrong due to a few factors, with increases time the issue could be so bad you will be unable to steer the model. So turning stabilisation off is enough.
This issue can be resolved by Stabi Correction ON or by Signal Processing - Extended. It is very possible the issue is caused by very high vibrations.
But if you are interested, you can try the firmware we are preparing that should work also in this condition. Another option is to measure vibrations with Vibration Analysis - especially at the Y axis.

PostPosted: Wed 21. Oct 2020 12:09:11 

If there is other firmware to try then yes...

This model had another FC with no problems before and full stabilization.

Yesterday loss of control was almost immediate and vibrations don't seem that severe. Is Spirit that sensitive to vibration that it would lose control after flying for 2 minutes?

Extended Signal processing did not correct the problem when you suggested it before.

PostPosted: Wed 21. Oct 2020 12:18:40 
Site Admin

Great, I will send you new firmware.

Actually Spirit units are equipped with very, very good sensors that can operate at models with basically any vibrations.
But stabilisation and rescue is very different matter. Each stabilisation is working differently.
There were many changes in used technology with recent firmware versions, so now we are trying to make it work with all models in any condition again.
You can't feel or see vibration level by eye or hand. Hand can sense only vibrations at low frequency which are not causing any troubles.

Please note, whenever you will feel there is a problem during flight, you can anytime turn the stabilisation off and fly in a very normal way with no issue.