It is currently Fri 26. Apr 2024 6:11:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Setup-Step-8 / 6 Degrees
PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 4:34:58 

I managed to get past all the steps to this point, I have both blades at 0 degrees over the tail boom with a small gap between them, all the sticks work the correct directions.
Tilting the machine gets the correct reaction of compensating from the unit, including the tail rotor.

But, I do NOT manage to get the 6 degrees. When I change the box (in stage 8) I get to the end of the selection - at 64, but the pitch is at 8 degrees, not 6

What can I do about it?

Thanks

Attachment:
File comment: End range, but 8 degrees, not 6
step8.jpg
step8.jpg [ 261.74 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 5:35:23 

Both blades should not be over the tail boom, spread them out normally. It just meant that the rotor head should be in line with the tail boom, not that both blades should be folded back

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 8:25:21 
Site Admin

There is high chance, that a previous step with Subtrims was not made properly.

Please make sure that when Subtrim (tuning) menu is enabled then all servo arms are in the middle.
And at the same time, swashplate is perfectly level and at the same time there is 0° between main blades.
This is very important in order to have step 8 - Geometry 6° good.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 9:05:24 

thestructured wrote:
Both blades should not be over the tail boom, spread them out normally. It just meant that the rotor head should be in line with the tail boom, not that both blades should be folded back

Both blades are NEVER both over the tail boom, other than in storage

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 9:14:25 

ZeXx86 wrote:
There is high chance, that a previous step with Subtrims was not made properly.

Please make sure that when Subtrim (tuning) menu is enabled then all servo arms are in the middle.
And at the same time, swashplate is perfectly level and at the same time there is 0° between main blades.
This is very important in order to have step 8 - Geometry 6° good.

OK, Let me describe my steps:

1) Turn ON my Tx
2) Turn ON the Rx, wait for it to initialize
3) Connect the cable from Spirit / SYS to my PC
4) Start the Spirit App
5) Elevator, Rudder and Ailrone are in the middle, I move pitch / throttle to the middle
6) Start the wizard and get to the Subtrim (Main rotor is removed)
7) Install the swashplate levelling tool
8) Adjust any of the 3 servos if needed in step-7
9) Check the box "Pitch adjustment" and move the pitch marker up / down while watching the swashplate
10) All looks OK, move next to step - 8

Am I doing anything wrong? What?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 10:01:26 
Site Admin

The problem that might happen is - if you are starting the Setup wizard again and again and you will not save the previous settings then you have to set everything again.
From your description it look like you have started the wizard many times, so it is hard to tell in which condition the settings are.

But if you see your previously configured values then it will be OK.

Your procedure seems to be good, but Step 8 could be the issue. It is important HOW you will set the Subtrims.
There are few ways how to set the subtrims incorrectly.

Proper Subtrim setup is:
1) Set all servo arms with Subtrims in the Spirit Settings so that they are in the middle of their travel - as precise as possible. From that moment you should not move with the values.
2) Change ball linkage(s) length (3 rods coming from cyclic servos) so that swashplate is perfectly horizontally according to Swashplate leveler tool. Moving with Subtrim values more than cca 5 points is rather improper way - preferably you should not change the Subtrim values at all. But simply, sometime at least few point change is needed (either because previously eye balling precise servo arm center is not easy or ball linkage length cant be adjusted that precisely).
3) Once two previous steps are done, install the rotor head.
Then adjust 2 remaining ball linkages so that you can see 0° between main blades. When blades are folded, ends should be at the same level (if there are no imprecisions of the mechanics). Or use pitch gauge to measure the angle.

Only then you can move to another step. If you disconnected power at any given point, make sure that when starting the Setup wizard Subtrim values were stored. Otherwise you have to do this procedure again.
3)

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jul 2020 10:15:01 

ZeXx86 wrote:
The problem that might happen is - if you are starting the Setup wizard again and again and you will not save the previous settings then you have to set everything again.
From your description it look like you have started the wizard many times, so it is hard to tell in which condition the settings are.

But if you see your previously configured values then it will be OK.

Your procedure seems to be good, but Step 8 could be the issue. It is important HOW you will set the Subtrims.
There are few ways how to set the subtrims incorrectly.

Proper Subtrim setup is:
1) Set all servo arms with Subtrims in the Spirit Settings so that they are in the middle of their travel - as precise as possible. From that moment you should not move with the values.
2) Change ball linkage(s) length (3 rods coming from cyclic servos) so that swashplate is perfectly horizontally according to Swashplate leveler tool. Moving with Subtrim values more than cca 5 points is rather improper way - preferably you should not change the Subtrim values at all. But simply, sometime at least few point change is needed (either because previously eye balling precise servo arm center is not easy or ball linkage length cant be adjusted that precisely).
3) Once two previous steps are done, install the rotor head.
Then adjust 2 remaining ball linkages so that you can see 0° between main blades. When blades are folded, ends should be at the same level (if there are no imprecisions of the mechanics). Or use pitch gauge to measure the angle.

Only then you can move to another step. If you disconnected power at any given point, make sure that when starting the Setup wizard Subtrim values were stored. Otherwise you have to do this procedure again.
3)

OK, I will explain again:
1) Yes, I started the process many times
2) After each move to the next step - I press CTRL+S to save to that point and get the Spirit message that it was aved
3) Each time I start the setup again, I can see that my previous steps were saved

4) Before I go the Spirit unit, I had this machine setup with FB Align head, the servos were set mechanically at 90 degrees and I didn't change it
5) The 2 pushrods from the Ailerone and Pitch are exactly the same length
6) The blade DFC arms are exactly the same length

I will start the 90 degree setup again .

Then, I will follow your steps

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue 14. Jul 2020 8:03:05 

Hello again,

OK, started all over again from scratch:

1) In the Spirit, I made ZERO all my cyclic adjustments
2) Moved the servo arms to the best position close to 90 degrees
3) This made the elvator to be a bit higher than the other 2
4) The gap from the tool was less than 1mm
See details in the combined picture below

Attachment:
90_degrees.jpg
90_degrees.jpg [ 419.92 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

5) Then, after the mechanical setup as close as I could, I adjusted the Ailerone and Pitch to level with the Elevator.
6) During this time, all the sticks are position centered
See details in combined picture below

Attachment:
Swash_level.jpg
Swash_level.jpg [ 298.26 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

7) Removed the swash level tool, installed the head with the blades
8) Moved to step 8, the angle is NOT even close to ZERO degrees....

I must be doing something wrong here

What?

PostPosted: Tue 14. Jul 2020 8:11:52 

In step 8 you are going to be looking for the elusive 6*. You change the number in the box on screen and the blades will change pitch. Do that until you see 6* on your pitch guage. Then hit 'Next' to go to step 9.

PostPosted: Tue 14. Jul 2020 9:37:40 

buttles wrote:
In step 8 you are going to be looking for the elusive 6*. You change the number in the box on screen and the blades will change pitch. Do that until you see 6* on your pitch guage. Then hit 'Next' to go to step 9.

Yes, I checked for zero in step-7

Yes, moved to step-8 but the best I managed to get to was 8 degrees when the boxed reached 64 and would not go any further.

Is it possible that the zero of my swashplate is far too high (too long push rods)?

Thanks