It is currently Tue 16. Apr 2024 22:02:49

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 15. Jul 2019 2:27:16 

Hi all,
I flew today pretty well with my trusty TREX 500 with Spirit Pro & GeoLink working perfect for over a year without incident.

I was doing horizontal figure 8's and lost orientation of the heli, and she tried to go in almost a crash 3 times, but guess practicing on the Simulator helped my reflexes better than I thought, and even though she almost went in 3 times, less than a foot to spare, I was able to rescue her before the crash. Unreal, wish I had a video of it.

I am attaching today's flight log from the Spirit Pro and Geolink.
When I got the heli stabilized and landed it perfectly, the GeoLink Blue Light was flashing and not on solid.
However, I was not using any of the GeoLink functions at all for this flight, and still had the issues in the log.

Tomas, Support team, any thoughts on this log please would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dave

P.S. - I should have mentioned that the heat index today where I was flying was 106 degrees with light wind and humid.
My first flight an hour or so before the incident went perfect and the figure 8s were really nice, with no incident.
Maybe the heat got to me, on the next flight causing losing orientation, with almost a crash, but recovered.
Maybe this was a heat related issue causing these log messages??????
I have never had this before what ever happened.

Tonight at midnite I powered up the heli, Spirit Pro and GeoLink acting as if everything is perfectly normal, and no issues, ready to fly. Spirit Pro and GeoLink initialized perfect like nothing had happened, flight log clean.

Update.... Also, we can rule out static electricity on this heli, it used to crash repeatedly in the beginning until I bought the I2RC tail boom block made out of high precision grade metal that completely grounds the boom to the tail block, mainframe, and motor, so since I did this back 3+ years ago, I have never encountered a static electricity buildup problem at all. Before electrically grounding all these things together, I had tons of static hits that would either almost crash the heli or crash. I have not had a crash related to static since doing these mods. So we can rule out the static issue for this almost crash flight.

Attachments:
Almost a crash today scary see spirit-log-2019-07-14-210053.pdf [78.76 KiB]
Downloaded 82 times

PostPosted: Wed 17. Jul 2019 17:28:08 
Site Admin

Hello,

the problem is that your model is loosing connection with GeoLink which mean all the features and functionality of the GeoLink is lost at that time the issue occur. If there is connection issue it could for example short power bus and cause lost of control. So I highly recommend to check the cable (especially connectors) very carefully from both sides.

Was GeoLink flashing after landing? This is important to check. If no, then I fear the cable between Spirit unit and GeoLink is not good.

PostPosted: Wed 17. Jul 2019 20:18:40 

Thank you for the reply Tomas!

I should have mentioned also that I was not using any GeoLink function at the time of the almost crash.

Yes, I noticed that the GeoLink light was flashing at the end of the flight, and not on solid. I will check both connections and ensure all is ok between the GeoLink and the Spirit Pro FBL unit. I checked them just now and all seemed to be connected very well and tight, nothing loose.

I am running a 10 AMP CC BEC,
I have Futaba S9254 Tail servo, Turnigy SK3 Helidrive Comp 1600KV Motor, Align DS515M MGBB Cyclic Servos.

I noticed two log file entries that say: 1st one at 5:40 GeoLink Data were Corrupted, then later at 7:00 the log shows GeoLink Connection is Broken many times, then followed by (after landing and testing on the ground without powering down the heli: at 11:40 the log says Power voltage is Low, and Geo Link Connection Broken at the same time. I feel sure this is when I was disconnecting the power from the Lipo.

I wonder would going to a larger BEC help this problem? Is 10 Amp not sufficient, and it was extremely hot that day 106 degrees.

Perhaps that is the problem, I need to upgrade my BEC? I know I had to use all my flying skills to get the heli back under control with almost 3 crashes, but the simulator time has paid off for me so far I guess.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Thanks, Dave

Update: 7 17 2019 9:18PM EST Checked everything over, wires ok, connections ok, can not make it fail now.
I put in an inline Power module and the max current moving all sticks was about .32 AMPs
Also, I saw that I had too much through on the rudder servo, and adjusted that to not bind at all.
Maybe this was the issue, not binding much, but any binding is not good. I can not make it fail now on the bench.