It is currently Tue 16. Apr 2024 22:41:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 15. Aug 2019 15:56:00 

Hi,
I lost control on my heli for a while (more or less for a second) and I have no log from this flight. It is 2nd time I lost it and 2nd time I have no log.
How should I understand it?
Is it possible, the unit had a low voltage and was logged out for a while? Or I lost the link and it is not recorded in any log?
Best regards
Piotr

PostPosted: Fri 16. Aug 2019 3:59:40 

Sounds like intermittent power loss. What heli was it on? Could be an intermittently broken power lead somewhere or connector with a cold solder joint. Or did the model remain on during these control losses?

PostPosted: Fri 16. Aug 2019 4:50:03 

I lost control and power.
I don't know what is the reason, but no logs, no help.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Aug 2019 7:23:28 
Site Admin

Hello,

if connection between unit and receiver or receiver and radio is lost for under 1 second then it might be not logged depending on protocol that is used. If there is no signal for over 1 second it is always logged.
Otherwise Failsafe mode would be also triggered which usually turn off the motor (depending on how it was programmed).

Can you describe what receiver/radio is used? I recommend to verify cable.
Do you have more models? If so, is it happening also there?

It does not look like power loss but do you remember when it is happening? Is it after some demanding maneuver?

PostPosted: Fri 16. Aug 2019 8:07:35 

Thanks a lot for your answer Tomas.

The receiver is Futaba R6202SBW (brand new), transmitter Futaba 8FG. S-Bus adapter between unit and receiver is also new.
Yes, I have more models (one more with Spirit FBL) and there are no such problems.

And yes, I had the both problems during quite demanding maneuvers.

It is possible, there is a signal lost, because I had such message in one of previous logs.
Then I made el. connection between the tail shaft, tail boom and the fame. I believe it is not electrostatic issue now.

PostPosted: Sat 17. Aug 2019 14:17:25 

Small update:

Yesterday I lost control and power in another heli with Spirit FBL. No logs.
I rebuilt the heli and today I had same case in 1st flight. No logs again.

The difference between previous cases and current ones is - I didn't' get power and control back.

I have two other helis with another FBL unit, and I flew them without such problems.

I thought, Spirit unit is more sensitive concerning electrostatic, but both helis are well grounded now.

It is difficult to find a solution without logs.

PostPosted: Sun 18. Aug 2019 17:26:20 
Site Admin

Could you describe your setup please?

If it is happening just during demanding maneuvers try adding 4700uF capacitor. If the problem will disappear then the BEC is not able to deliver enough power.
The unit will log voltage drops under 1.9V. At this voltage Spirit unit can work still reliably. But other parts will stop to work usually under 3V.
Electrostatic issue is also possible but I fear it could be worse with other units as the most others are made of plastic.
Grounding is sometime quite uneasy and even with cable there could be issues - for example other cables are too close the grounding cable.
Sometime even with grounding and antistatic spray is not enough. While same model with identical electronics will never face any problem. These differences are highly dependent on a dust that is trapped inside a boom made of belt particles.

I recommend to try capacitor and then you will see immediately.

PostPosted: Mon 19. Aug 2019 6:03:32 

In the 1st heli, XLPower 550 I have:
Scorpion 4020
Hobbywing 120A V4
3 x ALZRC DM1531S
1 x KST BLS815 HV

Yesterday I put another FBL unit (Brain V1) on the heli, and had same problem. Fortunately lost of control and power was very short.

In the 2nd heli, Protos 380 I have:
Scorpion 2520
Hobbywing 50A V4 (ALZRC version)
3 x KST 215
1 x KST X15-908

What is value of voltage, which should be recorded as low voltage in the SPIRIT FBL unit?

PostPosted: Tue 20. Aug 2019 7:30:06 
Site Admin

The voltage is 1.9V.

I am afraid there is rather some connection problem or issue with your receiver/radio. Or possibly too much of static discharges.
The model would rather fall during low voltage events. And your ESCs have quite good BEC so I think the problem is elsewhere.

But since the problem is common on two models the most probable is some Radio issue. This is the only common thing between them.
On the other hand you should observe the issue with all models if there is same settings or the receivers are same.