It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:24:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 20. Feb 2019 17:28:51 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Do you mean that you have tried it with other Spirit unit and it is working properly? If yes, then it is clear.

Yes I tried it with another spirit and it was working. But I checked the sensor divider on that unit and it happened to be 3 poles also. So I think the spirit is not able to detect an 8 pole KDE motor correctly.

What I plan to do next is set the pole to 1 and ratio to 1 so the signal goes straight through to the remote. Then put the poles and ratio into the remote and see if it’s able to derive the correct value. I’m not convinced there is anything wrong electronically with the spirit. I am open to other debug ideas though if you have any.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Feb 2019 2:35:06 

Looks like could potentially be an issue with castle.

Note from Spektrum:
“As for the issue with your 4649t; We have heard reports that there is a bug on castles side regarding the ESC telemetry feedback & our Spektrum transmitters. The bug was reported to Castle and we have not heard back from them. Specifically, we have had reports of inaccurate RPM feedback as well as other data not reporting at all. “

I’ll send a note to castle creation and see what they say.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Feb 2019 8:43:11 
Site Admin

Hello,

Spirit is not detecting any data, it is just receiving it from the ESC and re-transmitting. If value of 3 fits well it could mean that the motor has 6 poles.
Can you tell me how old is the Spirit unit?
Very old Spirit units require hardware modification in order to be compatible with Castle telemetry. But this apply only for small Spirit units from 2014 and earlier. All Spirit Pro are compatible.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Feb 2019 8:48:45 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

Spirit is not detecting any data, it is just receiving it from the ESC and re-transmitting. If value of 3 fits well it could mean that the motor has 6 poles.
Can you tell me how old is the Spirit unit?
Very old Spirit units require hardware modification in order to be compatible with Castle telemetry.

It's a 450 XF KDE 8 pole motor you can see the specs here
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kde-direct ... 50/p250026

The Spirit Pro I recieved from you guys last week. So I would assume it fairly new.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Feb 2019 18:11:10 

Here is the official word from Castle creation
"I doubt that it will work properly with the unique design of that receiver; it has a single signal line for telemetry data and radio signals. Our Telemetry Link was designed for use with the X-Bus 4-wire connection which that receiver does not have. I suspect there is too much data and not enough bandwidth on the single signal line."

Have folks gotten reliable data out of this thing?

PostPosted: Sat 23. Feb 2019 12:39:33 
Site Admin

There is nothing related with X-Bus actually. The telemetry should work well with your setup, especially because we have very same devices.

Can you tell me what BEC voltage is configured? Can you try to set 6V?

PostPosted: Mon 25. Feb 2019 7:09:49 

ZeXx86 wrote:
There is nothing related with X-Bus actually. The telemetry should work well with your setup, especially because we have very same devices.

Can you tell me what BEC voltage is configured? Can you try to set 6V?

BEC was set to 6.0v

PostPosted: Mon 25. Feb 2019 10:04:39 
Site Admin

Thank you. I am afraid but it has no sense to try to set up the RPM correctly, because data processing is wrong for each variable.
If you can swap the units (or just cables) and compare how it is working with both then we will know what is wrong.
If it will not work on the helicopter where it worked previously then the issue is Spirit unit. If it will still not work with CC Edge ESC regardless what unit is used then the problem is in the ESC.

PostPosted: Fri 01. Mar 2019 3:37:01 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Thank you. I am afraid but it has no sense to try to set up the RPM correctly, because data processing is wrong for each variable.
If you can swap the units (or just cables) and compare how it is working with both then we will know what is wrong.
If it will not work on the helicopter where it worked previously then the issue is Spirit unit. If it will still not work with CC Edge ESC regardless what unit is used then the problem is in the ESC.

Still waiting on your resistor to arrive. I don’t think the resistor is the issue here but it will remove any doubt. The data is not consistent that is the problem. I’ll post more videos once I get those resistors. I have two separate units one with a talon 35 and the other with an edge lite 50. Both units the RPMs are off by 1000 rpms.

The only unknown here is the TX I’m running the iX12.

PostPosted: Fri 01. Mar 2019 8:36:47 
Site Admin

Thank you. We have good experience with iX12 - we were testing with it extensively.

The thing that it should never do is to show you a random invalid values. If this is happening then you can't trust any of readings. So it has no sense to try to fix it since everything is more or less wrong.

Very important is if both untis are doing the problem. And if no, what will happen if you will swap the units or if you will swap the ESCs just for a try.
Will you see the random values? If this behavior is occuring just with one unit then we will fix it and all will be fine.
If it is happening with both units and both ESCs then it is more likely the problem is rather somewhere else.