It is currently Tue 16. Apr 2024 8:30:14

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Governor setup
PostPosted: Fri 07. Jun 2019 15:25:04 

jjuk wrote:
There is an PRM output on the HW escs, plug that into the Spirit so it knows the RPM. The RPM can be seen on the gov setup screen in the spirit setup software, and you can test gov on the bench.
Let me know if you get it working, because i'm completely stuck and can't get bailout to spool up fast enough.

Yes it's there and I use it. But this is RPM of the motor. As soon as you hit throttle hold, the rotor head keeps spinning, but the motor stops immediately (because of auto rotation bearing) and this becomes 0 RPM, and this is what Spirit gets. So if you bailout, Spirit starts - for example - 3 seconds spool up from 0 to 2200 RPM, so if your rotor head already has 1100 RPM you get 1,5 seconds delay until spool up gets to this speed. At least this is what I think might be happening...

If I use bailout in the HW governor, it bails out immediatly. Not sure how it's doing it.

PostPosted: Fri 07. Jun 2019 15:30:03 

And as for Spirit gov bailout - I got it working. It just has this delay so I switched everything back to HW governor, standardized the RPM etc.

But bailout was working if I followed procedure in manual - you need to set your throttle hold level to 12% as in manual (on OpenTX = -75%) even if it makes the engine spin. The you need to change Decrease General/Governor/Throttle Range - Min. until the motor will stop completely. - then it works. Then adjust Spoolup rampup - see http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... on_Bailout

PostPosted: Mon 10. Jun 2019 12:05:22 

Can you share with me your HW setting that you used? Are you using Gov Elf or Gov store? I couldn't figure out what the difference was?

PostPosted: Mon 10. Jun 2019 12:46:48 

jjuk wrote:
Can you share with me your HW setting that you used? Are you using Gov Elf or Gov store? I couldn't figure out what the difference was?

After some reading I think you're configuring things properly so I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you..

The HW settings - you mean for FBL or HW governoer?

For HW governor, I just use "Gov Store" mode, calibrate the ESC for throttle range, then standardize the RPM for the first time. Auto rotation time is set to 25 sec. Work fine.
I have 2 switches:
- one "throttle hold" sets throttle to fixed "-25%" - this stops the motor, but allows for fast bailout
- additionally I have a momentary switch (I use T5 or T6 somehow - one of additional trims on Horus) which sets throttle to -100%. This forces ESC to spool-up slowly without having to wait 25 seconds. I use it if I land, TH and then want to spool-up and takeoff again for some reason.

For FBL governor, switch setup was similar except of
- using "-75%" instead of "-25" on TH switch
- ESC mode set to "Heli linear"
- Spirit configured as described earlier.

As I said I use HW governor, cannot get Spirit to work properly.

Are you trying to setup HW or Spirit governor now?

PostPosted: Tue 11. Jun 2019 8:56:19 

Thanks - I'll give both a try.

PostPosted: Sun 29. Mar 2020 18:52:41 

I'm back to playing with this as I'm not allowed outside at the moment :roll:
I gave up prevous attempts in the past, but now I'm setting up a new heli with a spirit 2.

It's an Align 300x, HW plat v4 ESC and a 3s battery.
The motor is a BL300mx that is 6-pole / 3700kv and the main/pinion are 115/14, so a gear ratio of 8.21.

I've set these values into the gov setup screen.

What should I set the "max. Head Speed" to?
In theory, it is:
(kv x volts) / ratio
= (3700 x 12.6) / 8.21
= 5678 rpm.

But that's assuming 100% efficiency and a full battery..

I've used the gov tester screen to view the actual RPM, and its approximately 5300.