It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:26:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Governor setup
PostPosted: Sun 10. Feb 2019 13:37:17 

I've tried to configure the spirit governor.
It's a HW V3 esc in airplane mode.

In my radio, I've set 60% 2600 and 100% 3200 flat throttle.

In the spirit gui, I've set max speed to 3200.

On the bench, it spools up to iu1 2600 and up to iu2 3200 when selected.

If I hit throttle hold for 2 secs then turn it back on, the head speed drops to around 1500 and takes 10 secs to get back up to 2600. Iu2 will no longer work; I can see the target in the gui is 3200 but the governor makes no effort to reach that and remains at 2600.

I have to disable the governor to make it work again.

1) Why does it take 10 secs to reach full head speed again? Surely this should be 1-2 secs following a bailout.

2) Is this a bug?

If I try this with governor disabled, the motor speed changes instantly as expected so it's not the esc causing this.

Last edited by jjuk on Tue 12. Feb 2019 17:35:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Governor serup
PostPosted: Sun 10. Feb 2019 22:30:09 
Site Admin

Hello,

when you hit Throttle Hold the motor should instantly turn off normally.
Do you use some Delayed function for the Throttle channel?

The motor should start spooling up always in the normal procedure once you hit Throttle Hold. This is correct behavior.

You can also program ESC for helicopter mode but governor must be turned off, otherwise unexpected behavior will occur.

The bailout is engaged only when Throttle Curve is above 12%, in other words - it should not fall under this value. Otherwise slow spoolup will engage as described here:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... on_Bailout

Post subject: Re: Governor serup
PostPosted: Mon 11. Feb 2019 0:18:15 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

when you hit Throttle Hold the motor should instantly turn off normally.
Do you use some Delayed function for the Throttle channel?

The motor slows down normally. It just takes longer than 2 secs to spool down. This is all normal.

ZeXx86 wrote:
The motor should start spooling up always in the normal procedure once you hit Throttle Hold. This is correct behavior.

You can also program ESC for helicopter mode but governor must be turned off, otherwise unexpected behavior will occur.

The bailout is engaged only when Throttle Curve is above 12%, in other words - it should not fall under this value. Otherwise slow spoolup will engage as described here:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... on_Bailout

I see! I did read the manual but seemed to have missed this.
I'll add a separate switch at 12%.

Post subject: Re: Governor setup
PostPosted: Tue 19. Feb 2019 22:35:07 

This is what I would like to achieve:

Spool-up should take about 10 seconds to reach required head speed.
When hold pressed, motor stops.
When hold released, <2 seconds to reach required head speed.

But I cannot get this to work!

When hold pressed, throttle is set to 13% as seen in diagnostic tab.
The motor slows down and stops because I increased min throttle in gov setup until it stopped.

When hold is released, motor spools up slowly, so i increased to 250us to make it <2secs to reach full speed again, but now when starting from ZERO throttle, the spool up is much much too fast (3 secs) which means i will not be able to control the heli on the ground!

How can i set this to 10 secs spool-up, 2 secs bail-out recovery, just like Hobbywing Gov ?

PostPosted: Sat 09. Mar 2019 13:32:06 

Any idea how to solve this?

PostPosted: Mon 11. Mar 2019 13:33:58 
Site Admin

Hello,

for the first time when you are starting the motor it should be always slow.
But once you will use autorotation bailout and throttle hold was not really at 0% it will spoolup quickly.

The only solution is to have switch that will really send 0% throttle curve. Then the autorotation bailout will reset and it will spoolup slowly.
Possibly it could be programmed in the radio.

PostPosted: Mon 11. Mar 2019 13:50:13 

When i set throttle to 13%, motor stops, when setting it back to 80% the motor spools up in 2 secs. (as expected).

When setting motor to 0%, then back to 80%, motor spools up in 2 secs (incorrect).

PostPosted: Wed 05. Jun 2019 16:28:43 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

for the first time when you are starting the motor it should be always slow.
But once you will use autorotation bailout and throttle hold was not really at 0% it will spoolup quickly.

The only solution is to have switch that will really send 0% throttle curve. Then the autorotation bailout will reset and it will spoolup slowly.
Possibly it could be programmed in the radio.

Do you have a taranis model file and a spirit (red) backup file that i can get to see how you managed to set this up. I can't get the governor to do anything sensible by following the manual :(

PostPosted: Fri 07. Jun 2019 12:59:46 

I think you're missing this step: Decrease General/Governor/Throttle Range - Min. until the motor will stop completely.

But to be honest I didn't have much luck with Spirit governor and I'm using the one from HobbyWing ESC for last 300 flights. But I just spent an hour trying to setup Governor in Spirit - I can't get it running properly.

Problems (besides complicated setup) are:
- Bailout is too slow. I mean, it can spool up fast (tried Autorotation rate of 2 sec.) but there is a long delay before it starts to do this, like 1-2 seconds.
- The spool up is not smooth. I have to set "very slow" for some acceptable results and I don't want to wait that long. I think, the ESC - in comparison to Spirit - is spooling up slower at lower RPM but faster at higher RPM. This gives smooth spool up which doesn't take minutes. Spirit seems to be linear and needs very long spool up to keep it smooth at low RPM. But that's my guess / feeling.

I think some problems are maybe because Spirit doesn't know the RPM of the rotor head. I think as soon as the engine stops, it thinks everything has stopped and - for example in bailout - spools up from 0 RPM, while actually the rotor head has 1500 rpm. Hence the delay. Could this be the case?

PostPosted: Fri 07. Jun 2019 14:15:18 

There is an PRM output on the HW escs, plug that into the Spirit so it knows the RPM. The RPM can be seen on the gov setup screen in the spirit setup software, and you can test gov on the bench.
Let me know if you get it working, because i'm completely stuck and can't get bailout to spool up fast enough.