It is currently Fri 19. Apr 2024 1:48:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spirit problem
PostPosted: Sun 03. Feb 2019 16:56:19 

Hi guys,
could someone please help with this problem?
A bit background -
i put my logo 550 in the ground due to a Bec going dead on me... not a bad crash at all really as i managed to get it flipped over and almost level just before i lost full control. I fixed the model and at the same time noticed a new firmware for the Spirit unit was available and so flashed and re-setup the unit ready for its test hover. All straight forward stuff thats been done many many times. Test hovered the heli and it basically front flipped from the second it left the ground. Only damage was a slight crack in the blades. 
Got bored and had other projects on the go and so the heli sat in a corner for a couple month. Eventually come round to looking at it again. Flashed Spirit with another firmware bringing up to the present version. Reset the unit and done a full setup again. When bench testing i found the following issue. The sensors are all correcting in the right direction but the swash doesnt react like it should as soon as throttle (rpm on the head) is received. Without throttle everything seems normal. As you can see in the following video there are no vibrations either. One thing that i noticed is that when the unit initializes the swash does not go straight up and down. I can also confirm that the rescue mode switch is not engadged (check direction in the software) Anyone have any ideas whats going on? Im thinking the unit is faulty. Ive set these up many times before and they normally fly great straight from the first hover. Im using the mikado logo 550 preset.
https://youtu.be/6cf0WFtobBk

Post subject: Re: Spirit problem
PostPosted: Sun 03. Feb 2019 20:50:27 

as you can see by my dx18 monitor i also have no mixing added by mistake and there are no issues with the TX (ie faulty pots) - https://youtu.be/ExRkn8M3EGc

PostPosted: Sun 03. Feb 2019 22:49:20 
Site Admin

Hi,

this behavior is fortunately completely correct. It should work in this way.
So there is no problem :)

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 9:40:02 

ZeXx86, thanks for the reply... did you watch the whole video? How come many of my friends units do not work this same way? Why does it not do the same thing in throttle hold? I do not want to smash another set of £80.00 blades.

Please take a look at this thread -

http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/flybarles ... oblem.html

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 9:50:07 
Site Admin

Absolutely this behavior is correct and will be same with any helicopter.
Swashplate will not return to the center when unit will sense it is flying. And this is sensed by movement of the model, respectively vibrations.
If vibrations are very low, the swashplate might return to the center position. This mean that if you will set for example low RPM the level might be still low. With higher RPM it will always stay tilted.

The only thing you should never do during lift off is to move with your sticks. Because the model will still want to tilt where you moved the sticks.

So once again, this is not a problem at all and same behavior will happen with any Spirit unit.

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 9:59:54 

:D Got the same issue years back, but yes in default configuration is working exactly in this way if you only trying on the bench...
if trying in the air it will work very differently. You can increase Rotation Speed in the sensor, but please have a test flying to get confidence with the
primary setting. Good luck...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 10:04:16 
Site Admin

When the swashplate does not return automatically with throttle hold, then it could be issue- which was described by other pilots due to e.g. faulty pots. But in your case it is returning normally as far as I can see.

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 10:05:21 
Site Admin

Regarding initialization and pitch pump - servo movement, this just signalize there is something stored in the Flight log.
After viewing the Flight log in the Diagnostic tab, it will work normally. But this is not related with the issue you have described in any way.

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 10:38:58 

Thanks for your help guys... greatly appreciated. The only thing i cannot figure out is why the helicopter front flipped on me after the first firmware update. This is why i am so reluctant and i do not want to smash up another pair of blades :-)

@ ZeXx86 - will this behaviour be the same on on other flybarless systems? I have a video of a friends helicopter that is flying well and his Vortex fbl unit does not react this same way.

PostPosted: Mon 04. Feb 2019 10:59:08 
Site Admin

You are welcome.
The firmware has no effect on this behavior. It is same from the beginning.

If you are trying to lift off but the swashplate is not centered, then it could flip during lift off. This is reason why moving sticks during this period is not recommended with FBL until you are experienced. If you can see that the swashplate is level, it can't flip anywhere on its own - if your basic setup is correct. If compensations are reversed for any reason, the model will tip over instantly during lift off always. This will happen with any unit if the settings are not correct - these are the most important things to check before lifting.

No, each FBL unit is acting differently in some way.