It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 9:19:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Rescue rotation rates
PostPosted: Wed 16. Jan 2019 19:45:46 

Hi. I have been using Rescue in ACRO but I want to switch to Upright Rescue. I want to test from fully inverted to upright but I have been reluctant to try because it is unclear if the rotation will be too fast and brown-out the system. I had a bad experience with BeastX where it was too fast and stalled out my system.

I understand that you want a prompt Rescue but I would rather start on the slow side and work my way up to a speed that is fast but not too fast.

So my question is how can I control the Rescue rotation rate? Does the Cyclic rate impact Rescue? That is the only setting in the software I see that has an effect on Rotation rates.

I would not want to reduce cyclic ring because that takes away range for the closed-loop.

Thanks,
Mark Rhodes
Pleasanton CA

PostPosted: Thu 17. Jan 2019 19:00:20 
Site Admin

Dear Mark,

thank you for your question.

You can control the rates by what is configured as Cyclic Ring - Aileron/Elevator Range.
This is what also determine maximum swashplate deflection during normal flight. The value should not be too high nor too low. Ideally just what is required for your flight style to perform flips/rolls with preferred speed + little additional room for cases when flying in a strong wind or FFF.

During Rescue the aim is to recover model as fast as possible, thus it uses all available room for the purpose.
If there is instance when model can't handle it due to excess current then it mean that the setup is not safe.
It should simply work in any case otherwise you are always playing with a fire and such brownout could occur theoretically also when flying hard.

So if it already happened with BeastX I recommend to use at least additional capacitors for increasing BEC voltage stability. These are the cheapest solution that is working usually well.
Alternatively changing BEC for a stronger one is the best solution.

In order to make sure that such bad condition will not occur we have the BEC tester built-in in the Spirit Settings software. It can at least give you an idea that it is not completely bad and should be up the task.

If you are still nervous about it I recommend to engage the Rescue at least above very high grass where no damage might occur.

If you can specify what BEC and servos you are using I can tell if you it is fine or if some change is needed.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Jan 2019 19:43:22 

OK. Thanks for the reply. The model is a stock 550X:
•DS820M High Voltage Brushless Servo x 3
•DS825M High Voltage Brushless Servo x 1
•RCE-BL100A Brushless ESC x 1

I have run the BEC tester and it seemed ok. I had the BeastX on the same model before Spirit. I was able to adjust the rates on the MB and slowed down the Rescue. Then it was OK.

So I will reduce the cyclic ring at first and see how it works. Then try to increase back towards my current value.