It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 20:46:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Geolink installation
PostPosted: Wed 16. Jan 2019 0:34:18 

I'm working on the setup of a new Geolink and the directions are not very clear so I was hoping for some clarification.

I'm installing it on a Goblin 570 along with a Spirit Pro. I already have the FBL unit installed and test flown, it's working fine. I've installed the Geolink module directly on top of the boom behind the canopy using double sided tape, now I'm trying to go through the setup process. I know this isn't a gyro however with most gyro's you simply install it, set the model to level flight then calibrate the unit for a level offset. It appears that we're doing something similar with the Geolink but the directions are less clear.

3 Alignment
Since it is uneasy to visually align the module perfectly, the GeoLink has built-in digital level in the Spirit Settings. There you can see how to align the module and perform a necessary adjustments.

So are we supposed to use the digital level to mount it perfectly level on the boom and if so then am I to assume that I level the heli first then level the Geolink? So it doesn't have an offset calculation like a Gyro?

Place GeoLink at a flat, aligned horizontal surface anywhere on your model in order to get a precise reference. (for example the Spirit unit)
Click Set as zero (temporarily) button to reset angle of built-in protractor.
Move GeoLink to a desired mounting position.
Mount it with provided double sided tape at position ideally with 0° deflection.

So mine is already mounted however I adjusted the model using a Soko heli tool level on top of the Geolink until I got it perfectly level then clicked the "set as Zero" So now onto step 9 mounting it...."ideally with 0 deflection". So do I have to adjust the mount to keep it level or not? Ideally doesn't mean yes or no. Will it calculate it's own offset and operate as intended or not?

Now onto Compass Calibration

2.1 How to check
To verify that GeoLink is calibrated correctly for your area, please launch the Spirit Settings and open GeoLink settings window. At Info tab you can see current Heading value.
Please place the model or just GeoLink to the North as close as possible, so that flight direction of the model is front of the arrow. Ideally compare to an analogue compass.
IMPORTANT: Make sure when reading out the Heading, the model is at the horizontal plane. So that at the Module tab you will see 0° inclination. Since some models such as SAB Goblin, MSH Protos are inclined it is necessary to find zero inclination of the model first.
When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this.

So are we calibrating it to true north or magetic north? It's been 40 years since I've used a compass but I was able to find one, however the needle drifts whenever I bring it near the model, l assume due to the motor magnets. "Make sure when reading out the Heading, the model is at the horizontal plane. So that at the Module tab you will see 0° inclination". Now I'm back to the first question. I struggled through this paragraph of the directions trying to understand what it meant and finished not sure what I was supposed to do. I was anticipating getting the Geolink pointed North based on a compass heading and then click a calibrate button but no such thing, it just moves onto the calibration process. Why not just calibrate it to begin with, what is the whole section with the compass for if it has nothing to do with the calibration?

Please explain how I should install the module on the Goblin for optimum results, will it calculate offset and operate normally the way it's installed or do I need to shim it so that it remains perpendicular with the main shaft? And lastly regarding compass calibration, it appears the compass section is just to determine if the unit needs to be calibrated is that correct? If so then why not just do the calibration every time and be sure it's right?

Post subject: Re: Geolink installation
PostPosted: Wed 16. Jan 2019 20:07:55 

with regards to mounting the geolink you need to set the temporary zero before mounting the unit to ensure that it is aligned correctly
With the unit powered up set it on a level part of the model, eg on the spirit unit or I have also used the top of the motor. Magnetism will not affect these readings (as far as I know)
With the unit sat level then click " set temp zero "
keeping the unit powered up move it to your mounting point and mount with both attitudes as close to zero as possible to ensure it is level with the model. Probably not straight forward on a Goblin tail
I have done this using a long extension lead so there is plenty of room to manoeuvre the unit until it is fixed then you can connect it using the normal lead

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu 17. Jan 2019 0:00:51 

andy6409 wrote:
as close to zero as possible to ensure it is level with the model.

Sorry but it's still not clear to me. The unit is already installed, I know it's just tape and I can remove and reinstall it but I'd prefer to understand the process before I do that. To me the directions make no sense.

I assume the goal is to simply mount the Geolink perpendicular to the mainshaft, just like any FBL unit. Because of the way a Goblin sits canted on it's skids simply following the directions and installing it "level" won't make it perpendicular to the main shaft.

For example checking the heli as it sits with the Geolink on the model it's sitting at and angle of 2.5 degrees. The mainshaft however is tilted 3.3 degrees. It's only off by .8 degrees in relation to the mainshaft. Is that considered "as close to zero as possible"? Or should I shim it so they are exactly perpendicluar?

PostPosted: Thu 17. Jan 2019 9:02:39 
Site Admin

Hello,

point is to mount the GeoLink perpendicular as you have written.

Procedure for alignment is written in the manual in the following way:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... #Alignment

When module is already mounted it is not that easy, since you have to align the model perfectly first - for example by putting a bubble lever at the boom.
Then you can see deflection (2 angles) immediately in the Spirit Settings software / GeoLink - Module tab.

PostPosted: Thu 17. Jan 2019 9:47:57 
Site Admin

Compass Calibration should be performed always, you can't make a mistake if you will perform it just to make sure it is OK.
But with an Analogue Compass you have possibility to compare the results.

GeoLink should be always perpendicular to the mainshaft, in the very same way as a FBL unit. It does not matter if you will use Module tab with built-in level feature or you will use any other way to make sure it is really perpendicular. There might be some deflection - but if it is under 1° error, then it is the best.
With 5° error it will still work quite well, but it might be not that precise.

PostPosted: Fri 18. Jan 2019 4:36:44 

ZeXx86 wrote:
GeoLink should be always perpendicular to the mainshaft, in the very same way as a FBL unit. It does not matter if you will use Module tab with built-in level feature or you will use any other way to make sure it is really perpendicular. There might be some deflection - but if it is under 1° error, then it is the best.
With 5° error it will still work quite well, but it might be not that precise.

Just by simply mounting it to the boom with no correction it's within .7° of the mainshaft.....anything closer would take some time and effort to come up with a creative mounting solution. Based on your comment .7° variation should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri 18. Jan 2019 20:08:01 

I used a digital pitch guage. I Measured both angles of the heli and fbl, which were within 0.5deg of each other. I then measured both angles of my mounting platform to get it the same. Sat the geolink on top and checked that before taping it on.

To check with it mounted you could measure the angles of your heli and then measure the angles of the geolink while mounted to see if it's out. Just sit the pitch guage on top.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 16:22:44 

Campbell wrote:
I used a digital pitch guage. I Measured both angles of the heli and fbl, which were within 0.5deg of each other. I then measured both angles of my mounting platform to get it the same. Sat the geolink on top and checked that before taping it on.

To check with it mounted you could measure the angles of your heli and then measure the angles of the geolink while mounted to see if it's out. Just sit the pitch guage on top.

That's essentially what I did. I didn't measure the FBL unit because I assume the Goblin mounting point is designed to be perpendicular to the main shaft but it's an unnecessary variable for this task anyway. I simply used a Soko tool, perfectly leveled the main shaft then measured the Geo-link which is at .7° (fwd / back) simply being servo taped to the boom. I'd like to see it at a perfect 0° but that would take some time and effort, without having a 3D printer it also wouldn't be as clean an installation. I assume .7° is realistically close enough.

Update - Took some time but I got it to 0° devation in relation to the main shaft left / right / front / back. Somebody really needs to sell a 3d printed adjustable base for these things.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2019 18:52:44 
Site Admin

0.7° is very good as well. Good job.

Yes, we will release the adjustable mounting solutions soon!