It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:13:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri 26. Oct 2018 18:30:11 

I have a Trex 470LM with a Spirit Pro, Geo-Link, Hobbywing 60A V4, Spektrum 4649T and 4648 with a DX9. my first flight since upgrading to the newest update (2.5.2 from 2.5.1).
I turned on my TX and then connected my battery like normal, Unit Initialized, Geo-Link connected. Did a quick preflight check by cycling the cyclic and rudder controls, all was good. Flipped to Idle up 2 (flat throttle curve in TX set to %60 to trigger Spirit Internal Governor at 2800RPM). Model spooled up about half way before suddenly going full throttle and not responding to any input from TX, fortunately it was still on the ground giving negative pitch, so it just sat there slowly spinning in circles until the battery drained enough for me to carefully pick it up and disconnect it. Afterwords i reconnected a fresh battery twice, first time to see if it would respond (it did), the second time to go through the data and logs. also the first log in the list is completely blank, what could have happened? Logs attached, Also the lights on both the 4649T and 4648 remained solid which i assume would indicate they remained connected, however, ESC telemetry stopped being shown after loss of responsiveness.

Attachments:
18_10_26_123757-log.pdf [93.61 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times
18_10_26_123711-log.pdf [84.12 KiB]
Downloaded 84 times
18_10_26_123646-log.pdf [27.48 KiB]
Downloaded 82 times

PostPosted: Mon 29. Oct 2018 10:10:55 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am not sure if usage of 4649T and 4648 together is good idea - but this should not be the problem.
Regarding update there are basically no changes in any area that could affect it. Important is that any settings or update shouldn't normally result in an uncontrolled maneuver.

If you have more successful flights before do you remember anything that changed between?

Did you performed flights also in a similar weather? This is important because your model is equipped with Belt. If belt has loose belt it could produce high voltage and send it to all the electronics. Usually the biggest spikes are present during spool up and landing when belt can touch the boom sometimes.

I recommend to check if the belt has good tension so it can't touch the boom and also to place receivers out of the boom (if they are there).

Definitively I do not recommend to fly until you will find the problem. The best is to replicate it at least once more. Then to go step by step and find what will help. Otherwise it could happen again.

So without any change I recommend to remove blades and then to try spooling up to see if the problem will occur again.

PostPosted: Mon 29. Oct 2018 12:05:45 

The only thing has changed on the model is the update, the weather has been cooler and less humid though, so static could have been an issue, i will remove the blades and do some testing this evening and report back.

PostPosted: Sat 03. Nov 2018 11:37:38 

It may is way off, but could it be a failsafe problem?
I always bench test fail safe and disconnect receiver for one test and for another test i switch of my TX. The test with switched off TX was good, receiver handeld fail safe and motor stopped.
On the other test i disconnected the receiver and spirit had to handle failsafe, suddenly the motor did spin up.
I went into spirit settings, checked all of my channels to be 100% correct and saved failsafe new to spirit. After that everything was working as intended.

I dont know if failsafe would get safed in a permanent log in spirit unit (the logs as they are mostly useless for me, because they get lost after power disconnect, so i dont bother checking them anymore)

PostPosted: Sat 03. Nov 2018 19:46:44 
Site Admin

If there is signal loss then it is saved in the memory.
If there is no log then it is really not important to check the logs. And if there is something important you are always notified during powerup. So no need to check logs until you see a swashplate notification.

But yes, it is good idea to check how Failsafe is configured. Please try to turn off your radio for several seconds (after initialization).
What your model will do when radio is off?

I recommend to remove blades to be safe. If failsafe is not configured correctly the motor could start to spin.

PostPosted: Sat 01. Dec 2018 16:40:54 

Sorry for taking so long to get back, have been rather busy with work. But i finally had a chance to tinker with it some today, the full speed was the fail safe. Running bench tests with the blades off it still loses connection shortly after attempting to spool it up. I have tried reflashing the Spirit Pro, i ran just the 4649T, i ran just the 4648, i tried my DX9, as well as my old DX8 to rule out a TX issue, but the problem remained the same every time.

PostPosted: Tue 04. Dec 2018 11:35:42 
Site Admin

From the flight log I can't see that the Governor was even engaged (as if turned off)
Could you please share your settings? Preferably the settings that you were using during the last flights.

First from all I recommend to turn off Governor in the Spirit unit and then plug off the RPM cable from the PIT pin.

Then try to spoolup the model without a blades and see what will happen. Make sure that your throttle curve is linear from 0% to for example 60% otherwise it will spoolup too fast. Please check if it is still working properly.

It is only important to find when it will stop to work. Then solution should be easy.

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2019 2:37:03 

Sorry for taking so long, lots of over time at work. But had some time to tinker with it today. Attached is a copy of the settings that have been used. Today i did update to the newest firmware before continuing to trouble shoot the problem. I turned off the governor and proceeded to use a linear throttle curve. At approximately %50 throttle is when it seems to be loosing connections. Its almost like the unit shuts down and does not fully restart. I changed the fail safe to throttle off, when it looses connection it maintains what ever speed it was at the moment it stops responding. I left the unit connected to the PC while trying to run the last round of tests. The unit also breaks connection with the PC when it stops responding, and will not reconnect until the Spirit has been turned off then back on. I thought it might have been a power supply issue, i had another unused ESC laying around which i decided to hookup in place of the original to run a test, it performed exactly the same. I have found that i can cycle through all of the controls and everything appears to work as it should provided the motor is not connected to the ESC. Is it possible that the motor could cause this issue? did something go bad in the spirit?

Attachments:
File comment: Settings Used
Tune 15-5.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 28 times

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2019 3:12:58 

SOLVED: Static from drive belt.