It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 13:40:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2018 16:54:34 

At 9th step of the wizard, I noticed max and min pitch dont match. For example at 125 pitch range, I got +10° pitch at maximum but minimum was around -8.5°.

The reason turned out to be (I guess) diagnostic tab shows ~13-15% pitch input when stick was approximately at center position. Which is caused by my travel adjustment setting to match +-100% at diagnostics step. I reset travel adjustment back to 100%, now max-min pitch still dont perfectly match but is kind of close. But this time of course diagnostics show +97, -102% pitch range.

So how to set this up?

PS: I didnt physically mounted the unit onto the heli but I guess this is not relevant.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2018 19:10:28 

Hello may i can help you.

1) Put your stick exactly to zero and look at the diagnostic tab. If its not zero you may adjust your zero point in your TX until spirit tab is showing zero.
2) Put your throttle stick to positive 100% and match this with the diagnostic tab in spirit. You will have to adjust your endpoints in your TX to get the values correct.
3) Same as above for negative 100%

After that adjust your pitch range to your desired pitch angle. If its not the same for positiv and negativ you have to use the tab "servo travel correction", which you can find under "Servos". There you have 6 sliders (representing your swash servos), 3 for negative and 3 for positiv. If your pitch at negative is less then positive then put your stick at negative and move the sliders until you reached your desired negative pitch and vis versa.
This tab is also used if the swash is not moving level through your pitch travel. Then you can adjust the corresponding servos at there travel limt to get a level swash.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2018 21:01:44 

Hi,
Quote:
1) Put your stick exactly to zero and look at the diagnostic tab. If its not zero you may adjust your zero point in your TX until spirit tab is showing zero.

a) How can I put stick exactly to zero? just by looking at the stick is not precise enough. Using monitor in TX maybe? I doubt even it's precise enough. (this is Spektrum DX6i)
b) And if diagnostic is not showing zero, how should I adjust zero point in TX? Using subtrim? Manual says do not use subtrim.

c) btw, manual says:
Quote:
If some channels oscillate around the center, it may mean wear of the transmitter potentiometers. This can be compensated for by increasing stick deadband in the Advanced tab.

my rudder, aileron, elevator channels oscillate but only between 0 and 1. does that count? I guess possibly yes as I can hear servos buzzing all the time. or is that buzzing normal? (this is the first time I'm having/building a large heli, Gaui X3 to be precise)

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 7:51:46 

raft wrote:
Hi,
Quote:

a) How can I put stick exactly to zero? just by looking at the stick is not precise enough. Using monitor in TX maybe? I doubt even it's precise enough. (this is Spektrum DX6i)
b) And if diagnostic is not showing zero, how should I adjust zero point in TX? Using subtrim? Manual says do not use subtrim.

The easiest way to do this is via your pitch / throttle curves - just set a "curve" of 100 / 0 / 0 / 0 /100 so that you don't need to be absolute spot on with the position of the stick - you will get zero anytime your throttle stick is between 25% and 75%. Obviously you need to change this after you have done your set-up

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 7:52:21 

raft wrote:
At 9th step of the wizard, I noticed max and min pitch dont match. For example at 125 pitch range, I got +10° pitch at maximum but minimum was around -8.5°.

The reason turned out to be (I guess) diagnostic tab shows ~13-15% pitch input when stick was approximately at center position. Which is caused by my travel adjustment setting to match +-100% at diagnostics step. I reset travel adjustment back to 100%, now max-min pitch still dont perfectly match but is kind of close. But this time of course diagnostics show +97, -102% pitch range.

So how to set this up?

PS: I didnt physically mounted the unit onto the heli but I guess this is not relevant.

It sounds like you don't have your zero degrees set properly mechanically - you need to have the swash in the middle of it's movement, the servo arms at 90 degrees to the links, and the main grips at 0 degrees. It sounds like you have not got everything sorted mechanically and you are trying to get around it with the Spirit unit.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 10:55:36 
Site Admin

Yes, you are right. End points of the collective pitch should not be changed by Subtrim in your radio, because it is moving also with the center point. But with Travel Adjust function in your radio.
0% in the Diagnostic tab should be at the center stick position.
Please make sure that your radio has no trims or subtrims for this channel, because this will cause these problems.

I recommend to view this guide to fix all your problems:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... tive_Pitch

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 12:56:23 

raft wrote:
Hi,
Quote:

Yes use your monitor, you cant get any more precise than your TX is able too and this is shown with the monitor.
raft wrote:

Unfortunatelly i dont know the dx6i and what options you have. For the -100% and +100% use travel adjustment like zexx mentioned. If you have after this correction not 0% at mid stick, hopefully somebody with a dx6i can help you out there.
raft wrote:
c) btw, manual says:
Quote:
If some channels oscillate around the center, it may mean wear of the transmitter potentiometers. This can be compensated for by increasing stick deadband in the Advanced tab.

my rudder, aileron, elevator channels oscillate but only between 0 and 1. does that count? I guess possibly yes as I can hear servos buzzing all the time. or is that buzzing normal? (this is the first time I'm having/building a large heli, Gaui X3 to be precise)

Personally i wouldnt worry if the value is jumping between 0 and 1. Since you have to fly your model with constant inputs you wont notice this 1%. Servo buzzing is normal.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 13:10:43 

Mikej wrote:
The easiest way to do this is via your pitch / throttle curves - just set a "curve" of 100 / 0 / 0 / 0 /100 so that you don't need to be absolute spot on with the position of the stick - you will get zero anytime your throttle stick is between 25% and 75%. Obviously you need to change this after you have done your set-up

that's a nice trick :)

so the thing is, my radio sends -4 for pitch at center stick position. looks like there is no way to correct it without subtrim.

ZeXx86 wrote:
Yes, you are right. End points of the collective pitch should not be changed by Subtrim in your radio, because it is moving also with the center point. But with Travel Adjust function in your radio.
0% in the Diagnostic tab should be at the center stick position.
Please make sure that your radio has no trims or subtrims for this channel, because this will cause these problems.

I recommend to view this guide to fix all your problems:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... tive_Pitch

I'm confused here, that guide says use subtrim in TX for correction if pitch channel is +/- 2% different than zero.

so please confirm, should I use subtrim to zero pitch channel, or not? :)

Shonkonray wrote:
Personally i wouldnt worry if the value is jumping between 0 and 1. Since you have to fly your model with constant inputs you wont notice this 1%. Servo buzzing is normal.

Thanks, good to know :)

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2018 23:59:41 

Your being told not to use Sub-Trim to correct the max and min Pitch values however it’s ok to use it to achieve Zero Pitch in the Diagnose Page with a centered TX Stick.
Mechanical setup has to be correct to achieve equal amounts of Positive & Negative Pitch however the software is capable of tuning out small discrepancies which cannot be achieved despite having mechanical setup correct as it has been described in one of the Posts above !
You must try to have the Mechanical setup as close to perfect as possible before even beginning the FBL setup.