It is currently Sun 12. May 2024 3:55:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2018 7:04:10 

Hi again,

I still have problems with GeoLink. I set up my heli very carefully and correct but GeoLink drives me crazy.

1. There is no function GeoLink on to set up home position
Thera are only functions like RTH, Pos hol, Alt hold, Geo fence but no master switch "on" as described by you. So I set Pos hold and Alt hold on a channel (8) on my Transmitter but when I switch theese functions on ground no new home pos is set.

2. The showed heading is not correct. With factory settings the heading was about 55 degrees more than the correct heading at this position. Everything was levelled. So I was confused because I got the info that Heading is set on a position in Tchech Republic and there is the magnetic variation close to my position in Germany. About 2,5 degrees East.
So I did a new calibration and the outcome is still the same 55 degrees more than in reality. Is there anything wrong with the build-inmagnetic field sensor. Is this a HMC5883 sensor or any other model?

GPS is located on the tail boom (ALU) of an Align 600 Heli and as far away as possible from the body.

PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2018 8:31:42 
Site Admin

Hi,

1. To set Home position you can use the Set Home button at the Map tab. You only have to click anywhere at the map. Then close the window and save the settings. This is all that is necessary.
First you have to know how you want to engage the functions.
As described in the manual you have two possibilities.

a) by Stabi function - any GeoLink function can be engaged at the time you will engage a Stabi function. For example when you engage Stabilisation mode.
b) by assigned GeoLink channel - assigned GeoLink function is engaged by dedicated channel. This must be configured in the General/Channels by selecting for example F: GeoLink Return to Home and any free channel (right part of the window).

To make sure it will work as intended you can enter the GeoLink window and then enter the Aid tab. There you can see whether the function is Active or Inactive. By a switch in your radio you can change the state. If it will work, you are ready to try it.

I am sorry, but I am confused about no master switch "on"". If you want to turn off or turn on GeoLink operation, just uncheck GeoLink in the General tab in the Spirit Settings.

2. Please make sure that the GeoLink is showing around 0° (ideally under +/- 2°) for both X and Y in the Module tab when verifying the Heading.
Also make sure you are far from any magnets. In rare cases buildings are altering magnetic field a lot. So checking it at the field could be the best. For example notebooks have speakers with magnets at the front. So if it is close, it could be the problem.

You did the calibration and it looks to be similar again, this is fine. How are you comparing the heading? Are you sure the GeoLink (connector) is pointing to the North? Do you have an analogue compass?

No, GeoLink is equipped with different compass. We are testing each GeoLink either at the inside and outside to make sure that everything is perfect before shipping. So there is no possibility the compass is bad. This mean we are verifying that it is showing exactly 90° at the heading it should show 90°.

PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2018 9:39:33 

Hi, thank you for your fast response. It is always a pleasure to see so fast reactions from a company.

1. Yes I checked the magnetic heading at the point where I set up GeoLink. I checked it with a magnetic compass, this is the same compass I use to setup my Satellite TV. It is a professional analog compass I used for Compass settings on my mancarrying airplane. I am a professional pilot and I am an expert instructor former employed by the German Luftfahrtbundesamt. I also did my setups together with a friend who ist certified engineer for airplanes.
So we know what we are doing.

I have installed some compasses on multicopters and all are doing well so I know the points of magnetic problems aroung my ground.

Because of the necessarity of an Laptop for installation I can´t guarantee that the Laptop has no influence to the magnetic field around the heli. So I walked, Laptop in my hands, around the heli, as far away the cable allows and checked the heading changes but no changes found. When I come close to GeoLink with a steel tool (not magnetized) I can see a difference in heading readout.

2. Can you tell me the meaning of the different colours of the rings on the map? I found a yellow circle together with a blue oval sign (maybe bluetooth position of my Laptop) at the point of the present position and I have a pink circle at the point when I push ISP button and a blue circle also.

3. To change home point you want me to klick on the home point position on the map?

Waiting for your response, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2018 23:56:06 

Your not doing what I did and expecting to see 0deg with a North heading are you ?
I missed the 90deg bit in the Manual and it was driving me nuts when it was showing exactly what it was supposed to be!

PostPosted: Wed 29. Aug 2018 7:53:51 

I was just reading your topic: "Geolink Re-occuring Compass calibration issue plus !"
And there is the manaual saying: "When heading to North, you should see approximately 90 +/- 4°. Measured value should not be far from this."

Finally I found out that inside my used plastic holder for the GoeLink was a piece of ferromagnetic metal. Maybee for stability reason. I have replaced it with lots of tape for bench measurement and the compass was ok, according to the manual 90 deg off, but ok.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed 29. Aug 2018 9:51:30 
Site Admin

Great finding!
Thank you for the message.

2. When you click at the Go to ISP then it will find the point that was determined from IP address that is given by internet service provider. Usually it is relatively close to where you are situated so even with no GNSS signal at home you can quickly find where you are.
Go to Home will move to configured Home position.
And the circle moving around your position is where you are - when a signal is received. We will make it more clear in the manual.

3. Yes, you have to click at the Set Home button first. Then pick a new home position.
Or you can program new Home position directly from your radio when F: GeoLink Return to Home is assigned in the Channels window.

PostPosted: Thu 30. Aug 2018 10:18:02 

for all setup needs i found that is very useful the wifi option board
then you can use the laptop with program but keep it far from the model

i think wifi board has less influence than a laptop ;)

PostPosted: Thu 30. Aug 2018 13:18:18 

I use the Android App for all setup needs but GeoLink is not implemented in the Android App yet. So I need the Laptop until is it. Normally the need for a Laptop is no longer required when the GeoLink setup is finished and I believe it is when I have finished the Alt hold setup.

Thank you all for your help.