It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:14:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun 19. Aug 2018 20:59:35 

I followed the manual for the Spirit on setup. I set the cyclic ring to the max I can get on my 380-420 helis without binding. I set geometry at 6*. All the while keeping it in the ranges stated in the software pop ups. I balance the heli as best as I can. I go out and do several tweak flights to get the feel I want and the issue is always there. It is a very minor issue now but always there.

I understand I`m the only one seeing the issue. It is not a deal breaker. I just adjust for it in flying.

PostPosted: Sun 19. Aug 2018 21:09:17 
Site Admin

You can try decreasing Geometry 6° by 20-30 and/or to increase Cyclic Ring to achieve 12°. Or you can decrease it to verify the opposite (lets say to 8°) - if you will encounter even worse behavior, then by increasing it can be all fixed.

Stick Deadband is fine around 5 - 15 for the most pilots. But with very low values (5 and less) some problems could arise. So it is better to stay above.

PostPosted: Sun 19. Aug 2018 21:22:25 

I can not reach 12 on cyclic ring without serious binding. Plus was it not stated to stay below 11 degree to prevent boom strike with rescue?
If I decrease geometry by that amount then I`m on the really low side of the range stated in pop ups in software.

I keep stick deadband at 10.

PostPosted: Thu 23. Aug 2018 12:06:51 
Site Admin

Here is excerpt from the manual:

Quote:
The settings here should be done very carefully to avoid damage to the model or it's associated electronics. Never exceed recommended angles by manufacturer of the model, otherwise a boomstrike can occur.

First, set your desired Collective range, for example, +/-12°. We recommend using a -100% to 100% linear collective pitch curve in the transmitter. Now it is time to set the Aileron/Elevator maximum cyclic pitch range.
Try to set the largest possible deflection. Generally the Cyclic pitch angles (range) should be equal or lower than Collective pitch. This parameter does not directly affect the speed of rotation, but if it is too low, the model may not have consistent pitch and roll rates. The setting should be done with 0° collective pitch. Then carefully move with sticks in all directions to ensure that mechanical binding does not occur. This should also be done for the maximum and minimum Collective pitch.

If you increase the collective pitch range, this parameter must then be checked and in some cases adjusted to ensure no binding occurs at your new maximum and minimum pitch ranges. If the selected cyclic ring range is insufficient, it is possible that pitch-up can happen during fast forward flight (even if the pitch-up compensation is at its maximum value). This is because the model will not be able to add sufficient corrections with the configured range.

It always depends on the model, head speed, blades and servos what angle you can set. Basically for all smaller models nearly any angle is safe with a decent head speed.

The idea is just to find what is real reason for the issue. So it is good to just try. 11° is more than enough for the most models, but still there can be combinations that require very high angles. The higher the collective pitch angle, the higher angle is needed for Cyclic.

PostPosted: Thu 23. Aug 2018 21:08:15 

I`m not sure I can get 11 on cyclics. When I have a chance I will look back on my settings.

Thanks