It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:34:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Weird telemetry issue.
PostPosted: Sun 12. Aug 2018 9:17:54 

I went to maiden a compass chronos today but had something very odd happen.

I'm running a spirit pro, castle pheniox ice2 160amp esc, compass 510kv motor and using the spm4649t reciever.

I have connected it as per spirit guide and using the correct telem cc cable bought from spirit.

When spooling up with no blades on I get some strange readings, the amps maxed out 180amps and the esc shut off, the fec temp went up to 1408deg C. The heli would not spool up past about 30% with the blades on.
If I have a TC with 0 at the bottom, spool up the heli, go back to 0 throttle then spool up again that is when it's when it shuts off.

Tonight I removed the blades, turned off all telem settings and all was fine but have not tested with blades on yet.

What could be causing the issues with the telem turned one?
Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 7:12:28 
Site Admin

Hello,

the problem look like transmitted data are corrupted due to some interference.

Are you using Spirit Governor? If governor is used, then transmission is somehow unfortunately limited because throttle data are changing constantly.
Could you try to disable it?

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 10:19:57 

Gov was turned off, it was actually the first thing I checked as I thought I had some how turned it on it could of been affecting it as I was using a throttle curve of 0 to 85.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 10:36:34 
Site Admin

Could you use a flat throttle curve? This is what is the best. You can freely enable Castle governor. But with Spirit governor it should be still pretty usable.
Unfortunately Castle telemetry has certain limitations, but with stable throttle signal it should be perfectly OK.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Aug 2018 19:49:23 

Thanks, I'll try that. If I went into a flight mode with a flat line it seemed ok so it could well be the problem.

It's my first 700 so was trying force slow spool up under my control for the first time but I might just have to use all flat throttle curves till I set up gov mode.

PostPosted: Tue 14. Aug 2018 8:10:30 

I've just given it a good bench test.

Telemetry on: with flat throttle lines and curved ones it still cuts out and gives very strange readings.

Telemetry off: every thing runs fine.

PostPosted: Tue 14. Aug 2018 8:32:19 
Site Admin

Ah, that is sad.
Could you verify that your Throttle Frequency is configured to 60Hz in the General - Governor/Throttle window?

Are you able to decrease BEC voltage just for try? 6V should be perfect if you are using HV.

Also I am thinking about ferrite rings, is your ESC equipped with any?

PostPosted: Tue 14. Aug 2018 8:43:49 

Yes my throttle is set to 60hz.

I am using a 2s lipo so with out discharging it down to 6v I can't drop the bec voltage to test unfortunately.

No there is no ferrit rings on the esc.
So you think this may help?

I have my CC telem cable running right next to all my servo cables. Would this be having a negative effect?

PostPosted: Wed 15. Aug 2018 13:23:53 
Site Admin

Thank you for the message.

With LiPo you will not need the ferrite rings.

If you are getting the strange readings only after spoolup, then it could be rather interference from motor - but this is really only guess. If it is happening even with flat throttle curve, but only once motor is running, then it is the most probable as there is basically no other difference. Is there any motor cable close to the ESC cable?
Other possibility is that when motor is running the cables are somehow moving and it could loose possibly connection. Is the Telem CC holding really well?
If you will not figure it out, we will ship you other Telem CC just for try. There is just one resistance inside so the cable is pretty simple.

PostPosted: Thu 16. Aug 2018 8:03:58 

Thanks Thomas your support is amazing.

Yes the Esc wire runs reasonably close to the motor wires but it also runs very close to the motor.

I'll try moving the lead to the other side and keep it away from the motor. This will also move the cc telem cable away from the servo leads to eliminate any chance of interference.

It might be a day or two before I get a chance to do it but I will let you know the results once I have done it.