It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 11:56:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 18. Jul 2018 7:38:57 

Hi! I'm a new Spirit user and I'm engaged at this moment at my first setup. The bird is a Align TREX 600 running a Castle ICE2 ESC set to multirotor mode, in order to give full control to Spirit governor.

Well, first question is about governor. I usually land in normal mode instead of idling, and when I do that, I like to stop the motor just lowering the stick, so the first point of the "throttle curve" (well, is not a "throttle curve" actually, but a "governor control value") is zero. The problem is that if I decide the to take off again in normal mode, if I flick off throttle hold and then raise the stick, since governor is not engaged until it sees at least 50%, the throttle value is handed off "as is" to the ESC, thus provoking an abrupt start, with no ramp up. Does this mean that the only way to have a soft start if I want to land and take off this way is enabling soft start in the ESC? (or having a flat curve also in normal model and renounce to stop the motor lowering the stick, of course).

My second question is about enabling stabi modes. Manual states that it can be enabled by negative value at the gyro channel or through a dedicated channel. Can I combine both options? I mean, having a separate channel assigned to function stabi and being able to activate stabi mode if that channel sets to 1 *OR* gyro gain goes to negative value. If it's possible, I'm missing something because it's not working for me (I assigned channel 8 to stabi function and setting negative value to gyro gain has no effect).

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed 18. Jul 2018 7:45:27 
Site Admin

Hi,

welcome in our forum!

1) I am afraid but usage of throttle curves with enabled governor is not good idea. It wont work well and will make a troubles.
You should always use flat throttle curves with governor.

One possibility is to use Bank Switching connected with your Flight modes in radio. One bank will be used for Normal mode where you can have any throttle curve. There you have to disable Governor in the unit.
Other bank will be with enabled Governor and flat throttle curve.
But since you are probably beginner it could be too hard to configure it for you.

It would be easier to not use governor yet and use just throttle curves.

2) No, both methods can't be combined. As far as I know there is no reason to have it in this way.
You have to set also which function you want to engage. This can be done in the Stabi tab/Function.

PostPosted: Wed 18. Jul 2018 12:00:56 

Hey ZeXx86, thank you very much for your quick reply. No, I'm new to Spirit but I'm not a beginner with helicopters nor flybarless systems , I'm experienced with other brands and decided to give Spirit a shot.

Using throttle curve in one bank with governor disengaged is only an option if soft start is commended to the ESC, and I don't know if Spirit built-in governor would like that. At least the other systems I know like having full control on the motor. So I'll set flat curve also in normal mode and use throttle cut to turn motor on and off.

By the way, another question regarding throttle cut. Since I only fly electric helicopters, I always perform autos engaging throttle cut, I never use throttle hold because my transmitter binds a pitch curve to throttle hold mode and I prefer autorotating with the same pitch curve I'm currently flying. From the 4th note at page 59 in the manual I conclude that if you start an autorotation using throttle cut (which completely kills throttle) you can't bail out since bailout only is available if throttle is over 12%, doesn't it? The only way to bail out from a auto is using throttle hold and setting throttle slightly above 12%, doesn't it?

And a last question... can BT module be used in conjunction with the PC application? I haven't managed to link by bluetooth with the PC application, but I noticed that the scan process take much longer if Bluetooth is enabled in the PC...

Regarding using both a separate channel and negative gyro gains to activate stabi mode, my intention was the following: my transmitter (Futaba 8FGS), as most transmitters do, is able to link a gyro value to every flight mode, having the following modes: Normal, IDLE1, IDLE2, IDLE3. What I usually do in other systems is that Normal mode uses bank 0 with low rates, just to take off and landing. IDLE1 and IDLE2 use bank 1 with higher rates, suitable for sport and 3D flying. While in Normal, IDLE1 or IDLE2 I want to be able to engage stabi (in rescue mode) just flipping a switch bound to the channel which controls stabi. And finally, I use IDLE3 to automatically activate stabi in coaxial mode, for just in case I need to deviate my attention for a moment to swat a annoying bee or something like that. I set IDLE3 to negative gain but in fact, it didn't work. I'll take closer a look to my transmitter manual to find another way to achieve this behavior.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue 24. Jul 2018 7:26:42 
Site Admin

Quote:
you can't bail out since bailout only is available if throttle is over 12%, doesn't it? The only way to bail out from a auto is using throttle hold and setting throttle slightly above 12%, doesn't it?

Yes, you are right.
But with simple trick it is possible to allow bailout even if motor was stopped completely. This can be done by decreasing Throttle Range - Minimum limit to the point when motor is not spinning even with 12% TC.

Quote:
can BT module be used in conjunction with the PC application?

Oficially this is not supported. Bluetooth module is for smartphones and tablets. On the other hand Wifi-Link modules support this with no problem. So you can completely replace USB interface with it and there are also many more features available with this module.

PostPosted: Tue 24. Jul 2018 10:17:10 

Thanks so much again for your points! Take note of the trick for having bailouts also with throttle cut, good point! :D

PostPosted: Tue 24. Jul 2018 10:20:03 
Site Admin

You are welcome.

It is described in our manual here:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... on_Bailout

PostPosted: Tue 24. Jul 2018 12:05:01 

Opps! It seems that I overlooked that detail. However, I followed the English PDF manual... and can't find that information there. So I guess that is better following the online manual since it's more updated, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu 26. Jul 2018 7:45:59 
Site Admin

Yes, it is better to read online guide if you are interested in bigger details or some additional features such as integrations, telemetry, etc.
PDF manual contain rather everything that is required for the basic configuration.