It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 11:18:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spirit and tail motor
PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 8:46:03 

Hi guys,

is it possible to use a tail motor with the standrad Spirit instead of a pitch tail?

Thx,

Michael

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 10:18:43 
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

yes, you can use it with tail rotor. I recommend to set Pirouette Consistency to 130 first.
But to get the best experience, we recommend to buy uSpirit unit as there the software is specially designed for the tail motors.- once enabled the feature.
The upcoming update will make it even better.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 10:35:18 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi Michael,

yes, you can use it with tail rotor. I recommend to set Pirouette Consistency to 130 first.
But to get the best experience, we recommend to buy uSpirit unit as there the software is specially designed for the tail motors.- once enabled the feature.

Thanks!! I want to connect an Impeller to build a NOTAR version. How would that work? I connect the ESC for the impeller motor to the rudder channel, right?

Would I need to add another battery for that ESC or can I connect it to the main battery for the main motor? with a V cable?

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 10:36:12 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Can I use the uSpirit for 450 size helicopters?

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 11:09:47 
Site Admin

Practically it should work, but since there are higher loads from the servos it is not recommended.
But we tested that it can work reliably also on 500 class helicopter. Our recommendation is for max. 250 class.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 11:50:22 

Ok, I will try to go with my existing Spirit.

Can anyone describe what I need to consider for wiring? So the ESC receiver wire gos into the rudder channel port. The power cables need to be connected to the battery. Question is what I need to consider for powering the ESC, if I can connect the power cables via a v-cable with the same battery that is powering the main ESC/BEC. I understood from another post that I need to cut/remove the +cable in order to avoid two power ables getting into the spirit.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 13:23:43 
Site Admin

Yes, you can powerup both ESCs from the same battery. If both motors are rated for this voltage.

If both ESCs have internal BEC, you have to disconnect BEC from the weaker ESC. When you will cut or remove red wire from the connector, it will be enough.
Then all should work well.

The only issue is initialization. Because for this, you should have always rudder at minimum - stop signal. But unit is putting Center at the initialization normally. This is thing that uSpirit is doing automatically for you.
With Mix in your transmitter you can achieve similar behavior - When throttle hold is active, you can set Rudder at the position where tail ESC is not spinning.

PostPosted: Fri 16. Mar 2018 13:46:41 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Yes, you can powerup both ESCs from the same battery. If both motors are rated for this voltage.

If both ESCs have internal BEC, you have to disconnect BEC from the weaker ESC. When you will cut or remove red wire from the connector, it will be enough.

The only issue is initialization. Because for this, you should have always rudder at minimum - stop signal. But unit is putting Center at the initialization normally. This is thing that uSpirit is doing automatically for you.
With Mix in your transmitter you can achieve similar behavior - When throttle hold is active, you can set Rudder at the position where tail ESC is not spinning.

Great info, thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun 08. Apr 2018 13:37:37 

ZeXx86 wrote:

Hey ZeXx86,

I have now installed the fan and connected everytjing to the spirit and it actually works. I have set up a mixer that provides a rudder value so the fan is not spinning at start up. Even gyro is working, so fan reacts accordingly to external influences and brings back the tail.

Now question: What to do with the rudder endpoint (tuning) part of the spirit setup? Where this is quite intuitive for a conventional tail, I don't know what t do with them for the tail motor. Any advice?

Thanks,

Michael

PostPosted: Sun 08. Apr 2018 20:07:58 
Site Admin

Hello,

thank you for the info.

You can proceed according the manual - please check this page:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... LIMITS_TAB

There in the NOTE for Micro helicopters and µSpirit you can see for what the end-points are.
It is basically the Throttle range for the tail motor. One limit is telling where is 0% (not spinning) and other is for full throttle.