It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 17:29:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Powering up the unit
PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 19:56:11 

curmudgeon wrote:
With the original Spirit (red and black) units, you only have 6 power ports and 1 DSM/DSMX port. Due to the smaller foot print, these are great units for smaller helis and keep wiring neat. For larger helis, especially nitro which requires an additional servo (throttle servo), you will have no choice but to use Y-connectors to share the limited number of ports. In comparison, the slightly more expensive Spirit Pro units have 8 power ports and 2 DSM/DSMX ports, so you may end up not needing any Y-connectors at all. The slightly larger foot print of the Spirit Pro should not be an issue for a larger heli like a 600 nitro.

But I want to use governor so I have plug the throttle servo lead into aux port.

So should I use a Y harness and power up the system over aux port instead of plugging into receiver and transmit the electricity over sbus ?
Is there any advantage of this? Is there anything that can be fried on the tiny sbus cable board?

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 20:05:50 
Site Admin

What I recommend is to use the SBUS cable and additionally normal cable that will be connected as secondary power supply.
So in the AUX you can connect Y-cable with Throttle servo + cable that will go to the receiver.

So two cables will handle enough current.

Has the BEC two power leads or just one? If there is only one, then second cable will very likely not help.
But if BEC has two cables, then it is better that two cables will carry power to the unit.

PostPosted: Thu 15. Mar 2018 6:13:17 

Align regulayor has only one power output. :(

But I had not a single incident about this, because servos are not as power hungry as brushless servos.

PostPosted: Thu 15. Mar 2018 7:54:52 
Site Admin

In that case, when you will connect the BEC to the AUX port, then you can't make it better.
Two cables will not help.

I only recommend to try BEC tester. If it will pass, then it should be OK.

PostPosted: Thu 15. Mar 2018 15:41:23 

The receiver will draw only a fraction of the power compared to the 5 servos connected to the Spirit unit. The Align B6T 2 in 1 Voltage Regulator https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-b6t- ... h10/p18762 has only one single power output lead. You may be better off connecting this single power output lead to the Spirit unit and let the receiver be powered through the S-BUS adapter cable http://store.spirit-system.com/en/acces ... apter.html rather than your proposed connection of this single power lead to the receiver which condemns the Spirit unit and all 5 servos to receive power from the receiver via the S-BUS cable.

PostPosted: Thu 15. Mar 2018 19:47:31 

curmudgeon wrote:
The receiver will draw only a fraction of the power compared to the 5 servos connected to the Spirit unit. The Align B6T 2 in 1 Voltage Regulator https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-b6t- ... h10/p18762 has only one single power output lead. You may be better off connecting this single power output lead to the Spirit unit and let the receiver be powered through the S-BUS adapter cable http://store.spirit-system.com/en/acces ... apter.html rather than your proposed connection of this single power lead to the receiver which condemns the Spirit unit and all 5 servos to receive power from the receiver via the S-BUS cable.

Thanks a lot,
You are right, it's safer to Spirit to be powered directly,
I did this way because there is no empty port, it's just full :)
So I'm going to use a Y cable to throttle servo which is connected to aux port and power it, then the receiver will be powere via sbus cable just as you mentioned.