It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 18:02:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Powering up the unit
PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 15:02:58 

Hello,

I'm planning to use Spirit in nitro heli, is it possible to power up by System port?

I don't have any other port to plug bec :roll:

Post subject: Re: Powering up the unit
PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 15:06:35 
Site Admin

Hello,

unfortunately this would damage the unit.
In this case you can use our Y-cables that can withstand high currents or to connect BEC to your receiver.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 17:45:56 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

unfortunately this would damage the unit.
In this case you can use our Y-cables that can withstand high currents or to connect BEC to your receiver.

Alright,

I have arranged the cables and I'm going to use Sys port for Wifi add-on, but I have one more spesific question.

I'm setting up a trex600n dfc with stock electronic, so I have 4 ds610m and 1 ds655m onboard, my power source is b6t regulator. I'm using sbus ( via orange dsmx 3 channel sbus receiver, it's great btw :) ) and I have to power the unit up from the receiver via sbus cable. Because there is no empty slot on Spirit. I'm going to power wifi add-on up by receiver,too.
So here is my question;
Do I have problem about running all the current flowing through servos and unit over sbus cable ( bought from your store ) and can it handle ?

If it's ok to run this setup everything is great so far 8-)

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:10:39 
Site Admin

Well, it will probably work. But I highly recommend to use at least 2 cables for powering. With one it is safety risk.

For 500 class helicopter it would be enough, but for your servos there can be a problem.
So adding Y-cable is really recommended - for example at the AUX port.
Or connecting the throttle servo to the receiver, this will free up AUX port so 2 cables can go from receiver to the unit.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:20:49 

With the original Spirit (red and black) units, you only have 6 power ports and 1 DSM/DSMX port. Due to the smaller foot print, these are great units for smaller helis and keep wiring neat. For larger helis, especially nitro which requires an additional servo (throttle servo), you will have no choice but to use Y-connectors to share the limited number of ports. In comparison, the slightly more expensive Spirit Pro units have 8 power ports and 2 DSM/DSMX ports, so you may end up not needing any Y-connectors at all. The slightly larger foot print of the Spirit Pro should not be an issue for a larger heli like a 600 nitro.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:21:12 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Well, it will probably work. But I highly recommend to use at least 2 cables for powering. With one it is safety risk.

For 500 class helicopter it would be enough, but for your servos there can be a problem.
So adding Y-cable is really recommended - for example at the AUX port.
Or connecting the throttle servo to the receiver, this will free up AUX port so 2 cables can go from receiver to the unit.

I understand yout point, but Align bt6 regulator has only one power cable. If something happens to sbus cable, the heli definitely crashes without having a power issue.
My only concern is can sbus cable board handle 4a or 5a current? Is it safe to power all devices onboard via sbus cable? If it was a regular servo cable I wouldnt ask this but I dont know what’s inside that shrink tube ;)

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:23:01 

curmudgeon wrote:
With the original Spirit (red and black) units, you only have 6 power ports and 1 DSM/DSMX port. Due to the smaller foot print, these are great units for smaller helis and keep wiring neat. For larger helis, especially nitro which requires an additional servo (throttle servo), you will have no choice but to use Y-connectors to share the limited number of ports. In comparison, the slightly more expensive Spirit Pro units have 8 power ports and 2 DSM/DSMX ports, so you may end up not needing any Y-connectors at all. The slightly larger foot print of the Spirit Pro should not be an issue for a larger heli like a 600 nitro.

Thanks, but I have got the unit today, the things you mentioned above that I had to consider before I place my order :roll:

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:36:12 
Site Admin

For peripherals shipping is cheaper, so it would not be expensive.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:41:45 

ZeXx86 wrote:
For peripherals shipping is cheaper, so it would not be expensive.

I meant that I had to consider to buy spirit pro before I place my order ;)

I’m still waiting for a reply to my question about powering all the stuff over sbus cable

PostPosted: Wed 14. Mar 2018 18:46:49 
Site Admin

Ah, it was answered here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2476#p22180