It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 22:59:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 14. Nov 2017 16:46:11 

Running a Spirit Pro (firmware 2.4.3) with a Jive Pro 120+HV. I'm getting incorrect rpm readings and need some help :)

I'm pretty sure everything is set up properly, correct number of motor poles and gear ratio in 'Governor' tab, servo wires are all plugged in correctly. I have correct current (mah) reading, but the RPM's are definitely incorrect.

The RPM are coming up in the Jeti screen, however they're about half of what I'm expecting. Also, it is strange that when I go from IU1 to IU2 to IU3, the RPM's in the display actually decrease when true rotor headspeed is increasing.

RPM's on Jeti read about 1130 in IU1, 1050 in IU2 and 1030 in IU3. I'm running this on a G570 and expect headspeed to be approx 1700 (IU1), 2000 (IU2) and 2200 (IU3)

I don't know what firmware is on the Jive Pro (and don't have a way to update/check it). Would I need a Progdisc to do this (if necessary)?

PostPosted: Wed 15. Nov 2017 8:37:55 
Site Admin

Hello,

are the motor poles divided by 2 for sensing divider?
Is the ESC new or used by someone? It could be programmed with some values - in the ESC there is also Gear Ratio and Motor Pole settings so it is important to be not doubled.
Default settings should work with ESC (which should be the case if it is new).

PostPosted: Tue 21. Nov 2017 19:06:11 

Hello

Yes, the number of motor poles is set to 5. The ESC is used, so I'm not sure what information has been programmed into it. When setting up this heli, I preformed a Mode 1, then Mode 4 for the Jive Pro. I thought that reset the esc, but I'm not sure. I know the previous owner had the ESC plugged into a Jlog.

Do I need a Progdisc to check out the functions of the Jive Pro? I'll try to purchase one to program the ESC.

What would cause the RPM readings in Spirit to go down, even though I'm switching to a higher headspeed?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue 21. Nov 2017 19:24:58 
Site Admin

Hello,

it is very possible that there is programmed Gear Ratio and Motor poles in the ESC from previous owner. If he used JLog then it is nearly certain.
Telemetry protocol has few limitations - only part of the RPM is transmitted and other part must be calculated. If two different settings are used then it could cause wrong reading.

In any case we have received message from Kontronik that they are working on a new telemetry protocol that will fix these limitations and add new telemetry variables.
So it should be better.

Yes, I recommend to get ProgDisc also because of possibility to update the ESC.

PostPosted: Sun 10. Dec 2017 3:26:45 

I purchased a Progdisc and connected everything up. The motor poles and gear ratio were off in the Jive Pro. They were set to 2 poles and a gear ratio of 1:1. I set them to my parameters of 10 poles (Pyro 650-62) and a gear ratio of 9.8:1

I double checked in Spirit that my pole divisor is 5 and ratio of 9.8

I saved everything and did a bench test. Now the RPM stays at 1333 in all IU's. What's worse is I thought to try and reset the logging on Jeti. I went to the Sensor/Logging menu and hit 'Auto'. Everything disappeared and there is no telemetry at all now :|

What Jive Pro firmware do you recommend running?

I can't get the Jeti to locate any Spirit Logging info, do you have suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun 10. Dec 2017 10:05:58 
Site Admin

Hello,

thank you for the update.
If you are putting gear ratio and motor poles in the ESC, it is important to set Gear Ratio and Sensing Divider to 1, otherwise it will be divided by two times.
Hopefully it will help you.

I will check which version is the best.

To get telemetry variables back, please turn the motor off so that model is completely without a movement.
Then press the AUTO button again and all variables should appear immediately.

Please note that we are waiting for the new update from Kontronik that will solve all troubles with telemetry on both Kosmik and Jive PRO. But I have to say, that it must work even with the current firmware. I will send you all the details - I will get progdisc to check them.

PostPosted: Mon 11. Dec 2017 0:16:08 

Thank you for the reply.

I have the telemety available now even though last night was giving me issues. I tried hitting the 'Auto' refresh in Jeti several times last night, with no response.

Flip on the radio and heli today and it's working, go figure...

I'm not quite clear on what you mean with the pole count and gear ratio. I can put a gear ratio of 1:1 into esc, but only even numbers of poles into esc settings (2 poles is lowest).

Since I was having issues with rpm with initial setting of esc (1:1 gear, 2 poles), I put gear ratio of 9.81:1 into esc and # poles of 10 into Jive. Then in Spirit gov, I put gear ratio of 1:1 and sensing divisor to 1. Now RPM is showing 8118 in all IU's :lol:

I guess I'll wait to hear what you recommend for Jive firmware version (mine is currently at 1.4 esc, 1.5 bootloader).

Otherwise I'll wait for new Kontronik firmware or possibly try the TelemJeti Kontronik cable, although I really don't want to spend $100 on that cable.

PostPosted: Tue 12. Dec 2017 8:26:38 
Site Admin

I am sure we will solve it since it is working well hopefully for all others.
This week I will let you know all the details (we are awaiting required package).

PostPosted: Tue 12. Dec 2017 18:17:20 

Thank you for your help :)

PostPosted: Mon 18. Dec 2017 18:37:32 
Site Admin

Hello,

here you can see attachment with the configuration.
All parameters are at default and RPM is working correctly out of the box.

In the Spirit Settings there is real Gear Ratio and Sensing Divider of the model.

Attachments:
kontronik.png
kontronik.png [ 292.02 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]