It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 23:31:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Up Up & Up it Goes
PostPosted: Sun 15. Oct 2017 16:50:07 

Hi,

Last weekend I ran into an issue where my Oxy 3 stretch decided to go into what seemed like rescue mode without being initiated.

A friend and I were testing the heli in differently flight modes ( normal, self level and acro self level) after finally solving a tail wag issue. He flew two batteries with different modes and also normal, IU1 & IU2 without any incident and landed the heli in normal flight mode (pilot in full control) with about a minute and a half of battery left. So I then switched into self level mode while heli was still on the ground and immediately spooled up and lifted it into the air in IU1 and it just kept going Up no matter what I did with the collective stick. I ended up hitting TH and dropping it down hard crashing as I was afraid it would never stop climbing and would soon loose sight of it.

Any ideas as to what my have caused this glitch.

I am using a DX9 radio and the Spirit. Black Edition (same as the red) and the vibes are all very low and it was flying perfect up until that moment.

Kevin

Post subject: Up Up & Up it Goes
PostPosted: Sun 15. Oct 2017 16:51:17 

You had it in normal rescue mode. Under that mode the collective is disabled and it’s always punching upwards. I’m guessing as you were trying all the different modes that you forgot to change banks / accidentally enabled the rescue bank.

Post subject: Re: Up Up & Up it Goes
PostPosted: Sun 15. Oct 2017 17:46:41 

jgiannakas wrote:
You had it in normal rescue mode. Under that mode the collective is disabled and it’s always punching upwards. I’m guessing as you were trying all the different modes that you forgot to change banks / accidentally enabled the rescue bank.

I think you may have misunderstood my posting. I flipped the switch from bank 1 which is normal rescue mode, to position bank o (zero) which is normal self level before spooling up. Rescue or bailout is on on my momentary button switch I which would cause the heli to level and pitch up sending the heli upward. I hope this clarifies what I was initially trying to say. I did not hit switch I to initiate rescue or bailout whichever you may want to call it.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon 16. Oct 2017 7:09:54 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin,

the problem could be caused if the unit has been still in the configuration mode. For example connected to the PC which was not closed properly.
Or if Spektrum integration was engaged, then Bank Switching can't be done by a switch but is done just by the integration.

New update should help with this - to signalize if you are in the configuration mode, if this is the case.

I hope that it will help you.

PostPosted: Mon 16. Oct 2017 7:49:57 

Do you banks in your tx match the banks in the spirit? IE bank 1 on tx is bank 0 on spirit? Therefore you would of been in self level on the first flight and normal rescue on the second, causing it to punch up.

Just a thought as I have wondered why my bank switching was not working as it should, and had it reverses. You can check it in the diagnostic page.

PostPosted: Tue 17. Oct 2017 1:37:17 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

the problem could be caused if the unit has been still in the configuration mode. For example connected to the PC which was not closed properly.
Or if Spektrum integration was engaged, then Bank Switching can't be done by a switch but is done just by the integration.

New update should help with this - to signalize if you are in the configuration mode, if this is the case.

I hope that it will help you.

Hi Tomas,

1. I always close program after saving settings if any were made.
2. I am not using integration on my transmitter.
3. I have had at least ten flights since it was last hooked up to a PC without any issues.
4. I had my FM in IU 1 when I spooled up, and just prior to spooling up I switched my Bank switch from '1' which is Normal flight (not Self-Level or Acro-Level). I then flipped switch to Bank '0' which is Self-Level, and then spooled up. I have my Rescue / Bailout on a momentary switch 'I' which would cause the heli to pitch upwards, however I did not press this momentary (button switch) so my heli should not have acted as it did which was as IF I pushed the momentary switch to activate Rescue / Bailout.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat 21. Oct 2017 14:59:31 

Hi Tomas,

Would you have any other explanations as to why the flight controller responded as it did after my last explanation?

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun 22. Oct 2017 6:10:56 

Could you post your Spirit settings? All Banks?

PostPosted: Sun 22. Oct 2017 9:53:39 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin,

in normal case there should be never such glitch. It should do just what is programmed.

It is hard to say without very carefull examination of all the settings in the unit.
But we can exclude all possibilities step by step. It looks like something being mixed in the radio that is doing such unexpected thing.
It could be for example a channel value that is used for Bank Switching - this value can be very, very close on the edge where for example Bank 0 is activated, but if a channel drifts little bit it will happen to be at Bank 1. Channel drifting could occur on its own over time. It could be also theoretically faulty switch.

But as you said, to activate the Rescue it is necessary to activate Bank 1 and then momentary button. There it is very dependent on how it is programmed in your radio. If these two things are needed, then I guess that it is not caused by faulty switch.
If some mixes are used, then there could be a situation which will trigger the rescue incorrectly. To verify if this is the case, you can simply try to put all the switched to the same position it was during the accident and verify if there is no point which can trigger the rescue on the ground - because in the flight it will do the same thing.

Lastly it could be also caused by for example a servo arm or a push rod that went away - maybe during some pre-flight check. If for example one of 3 servos is not reacting, then as result the model can uncontrollably go up. If this was the case, then after "landing" it should be visible that something was not in position (servo arm/push rod).
The same thing could occur if some cyclic servo will die.

All in all, if it was transmitter configuration problem, the problem should be reproducible on the ground. If it was a mechanical issue, you can find in your memory if something odd happened.

I think that these are the most probable scenarios that could explain the issue. Important is to find it, otherwise it will very likely happen again :(

Can you also tell me what receiver connection you are using? You can share your settings.

PostPosted: Sun 22. Oct 2017 18:31:54 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

in normal case there should be never such glitch. It should do just what is programmed.

It is hard to say without very carefull examination of all the settings in the unit.
But we can exclude all possibilities step by step. It looks like something being mixed in the radio that is doing such unexpected thing.
It could be for example a channel value that is used for Bank Switching - this value can be very, very close on the edge where for example Bank 0 is activated, but if a channel drifts little bit it will happen to be at Bank 1. Channel drifting could occur on its own over time. It could be also theoretically faulty switch.

But as you said, to activate the Rescue it is necessary to activate Bank 1 and then momentary button. There it is very dependent on how it is programmed in your radio. If these two things are needed, then I guess that it is not caused by faulty switch.
If some mixes are used, then there could be a situation which will trigger the rescue incorrectly. To verify if this is the case, you can simply try to put all the switched to the same position it was during the accident and verify if there is no point which can trigger the rescue on the ground - because in the flight it will do the same thing.

Lastly it could be also caused by for example a servo arm or a push rod that went away - maybe during some pre-flight check. If for example one of 3 servos is not reacting, then as result the model can uncontrollably go up. If this was the case, then after "landing" it should be visible that something was not in position (servo arm/push rod).
The same thing could occur if some cyclic servo will die.

All in all, if it was transmitter configuration problem, the problem should be reproducible on the ground. If it was a mechanical issue, you can find in your memory if something odd happened.

I think that these are the most probable scenarios that could explain the issue. Important is to find it, otherwise it will very likely happen again :(

Can you also tell me what receiver connection you are using? You can share your settings.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the Original File - no changes except gyro values.
ORIGINAL BANK SETTINGS FOR ALL BANKS.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 37 times