It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 18:50:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu 21. Sep 2017 23:35:52 

Posted this on HF in the Castle thread, but not getting any feedback. I'm pretty sure this is not a Spirit issue, but thought I'd run it by you folks to see if you had any thoughts or ideas because there is more telemetry work going on here.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=791634

PostPosted: Fri 22. Sep 2017 7:10:16 
Site Admin

Hi,

can you verify also other variables or it is just RB1V?
It could indicate that Link-Live connection is not 100% if you can observe this phenomenon on all telemetry variables.
If it is just voltage, then it is what CC was reporting.

But I doubt that there was such high drop so probably this can be excluded.

PostPosted: Sat 23. Sep 2017 17:14:45 

These four telemetry variables all showed blips. The other variables had no blips. Some occur at the same time, other do not.

Attachments:
T2.png
T2.png [ 25.25 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]
T1.png
T1.png [ 24.88 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 10. Oct 2017 8:47:21 
Site Admin

Hi,

since the question was answered just in PM, I will answer here too.

The problem is caused by limits of the protocol used for Castle telemetry communication. There is no possibility to verify if received data are correct.
Because Governor is used, it is changing the Throttle all the time which is causing a lot of problems for stable readouts. So the issue is rather just visual.
Spektrum has very fast telemetry which mean that all the errors are well visible. If Governor is not used from the unit, it should be clean.
We will see how it can be improved but it do not pose any risk.

PostPosted: Tue 10. Oct 2017 16:35:37 

Thanks. I continue to see dropouts with CC ESC's (50, 130 and 160A). None with my HW160A. I thought I might experiment with different throttle frequencies but I have not done that yet. I think you can mark this solved.

PostPosted: Wed 11. Oct 2017 4:16:41 

btheli wrote:
Thanks. I continue to see dropouts with CC ESC's (50, 130 and 160A). None with my HW160A. I thought I might experiment with different throttle frequencies but I have not done that yet. I think you can mark this solved.

Please let us know what you find.

PostPosted: Wed 11. Oct 2017 16:38:23 

In a discussion with Castle tech support, I was told:

"The Telemetry Link will not work if the ESC is programmed for Multirotor or External Governor Mode due to the higher PWM frequency."

"Telemetry Link" is a product that Castle sells: http://www.castlecreations.com/en/accessories-5/telemetry-link-for-sbus2-010-0152-00
I am not using this product. I am using the Spirit cable, and I suspect it provides the same function, but not sure about this.

I am using Multirotor (vehicle type) in the ESC so that the Spirit gov will have immediate control over the ESC. I am now wondering if there is an issue with using the signal wire to transmit both telemetry information and throttle signal. On all my Castle ESC's, I have experienced no issue beyond my transmitter notifying me (I have audible alerts when telemetry variables go outside reasonable bounds).

On my HW ESC, I didn't think there was any issue, but last weekend I had something strange happen. Here's the log:
About one minute into the flight I lost power. I didn't know what was going on so I just landed out in the field. I then noticed it was spooling back up and hit throttle cut. I flew the heli four more times, very carefully, and did not have any strange behavior. In the plot I show RPM, SC (throttle cut) and SH (throttle hold). You can see that I did not accidentally hit either of these switches. Also shown is PWM, which clearly shows I lost throttle signal, and which also shows it going back into slow start spoolup as I observed. Not sure if this is related to the telemetry issue I'm seeing with the Castle ESC's (collisions), but I thought I would bring it up because I cannot see any other reason for this to happen.

Attachments:
MaxV2Flight.png
MaxV2Flight.png [ 40.2 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]

PostPosted: Wed 11. Oct 2017 17:09:58 
Site Admin

Hi,

thank you for the message.
Castle and HobbyWing telemetries are working very differently, so potential problems can't be common between each other.
Also telemetry does not affect governor or throttle in any way.

Response from Castle seems to be partially right, except the problem is little bit different. With 100% certainty it is as I have written earlier.
Their telemetry protocol is not designed to work together with Governor since it is using same signal wire for transmitting and receiving data (even if frequency is same).

HobbyWing telemetry is independent from Throttle signal so both can do whatever they want. Since the problems are different, I recommend to open new thread for HobbyWing. Can you add description of what is SC and SH, please?
Do you use governor from ESC or unit?

PostPosted: Wed 11. Oct 2017 17:30:51 

I thought the throttle signal and telemetry information were both using the signal wire.

I've started a new thread (topic) for the HW issue.

SC is the throttle cut switch on my Horus
SH is the throttle hold switch on my Horus
I am using the Spirit governor on all my helis.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu 12. Oct 2017 9:55:11 

btheli wrote:
I thought the throttle signal and telemetry information were both using the signal wire.

I've started a new thread (topic) for the HW issue.

SC is the throttle cut switch on my Horus
SH is the throttle hold switch on my Horus
I am using the Spirit governor on all my helis.

Thanks.

I have experienced a voltage drop out so taking soft cut mode in CC.

I set current limit as insensitive.

After landing, checked logs from CC. Shows voltage sudden drops.

So this is nothing to do with telemetry...
I am still wondering what caused that.