It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 15:14:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Graupner ESC and Spirit
PostPosted: Thu 06. Jul 2017 17:49:43 

I want to use my Graupner ESC ( BRUSHLESS CONTROL + T 100) with the Spirit System. If I understood correctly, a direct connection to the Spirit System is currently not possible. Is it correct to use the Graupner ESC governer? Can I then use the ESC telemetry with an Y-Cable at the receiver?
Thanks for helping!
Armin

PostPosted: Thu 20. Jul 2017 10:38:55 

I fly a Plöchinger Acrobat SE as Bell 222 with

Tx: Graupner MC-20
Rx: Graupner GR-16
ESC: Graupner Brushless Control +T 100 G6, using Governor(Speed)
FBL: Spirit Pro

The ESC is connected to the GR-16 (Ch6). The ESC is entirely controlled via the GR-16 (i.e. setup of Governor Speed, Limiter via slider on the Tx).
The ESC telemetry cable is connected via Y-cable, parallel to the Spirit Pro (with Spirit's HoTT integration cable), to the telemetry port of the GR-16.

Works very well.

By the way, since the ESC is connected to the GR-16 but the servos are connected to the Spirit Pro (using SUMD) I connected the GR-16 and the Spirit Pro with two separate power cables (from GR-16 Ch2+3 to Spirit AUX1+2). The SUMD cable contains no +wire (no power) and the two power cables coming from the GR-16 Ch2+3 contain no signal wire.

By the way no. 2: I don't use HoTT for tuning the Spirit Pro anymore because setup via HoTT is rather slow with the GR-16 (and in my setup the ESC has nothing to do with the Spirit so I don't need telemetry data via HoTT from the Spirit). I connected the Spirit Wifi-Link module to the Spirit Pro (SYS & CH0) and use a cell phone with Spirit Android App. In order to prevent the Wifi-Link from interfering with the MC-20 signals, I power the Wifi-Link on and off on the ground via a remote switch, which is controlled via the MC-20 through Spirit CH0. During flight the WiFi-Link is always powered off! Works very fast and comfortable.

Last edited by aircruiser on Thu 20. Jul 2017 19:05:08, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 20. Jul 2017 12:02:51 

Off topic: If telemetry is slow with your GR-16 RX, you should probably
update the RX to firmware version 6a39 which makes it pretty fast - own
experience here.

PostPosted: Thu 20. Jul 2017 19:03:08 

martino wrote:
Off topic: If telemetry is slow with your GR-16 RX, you should probably
update the RX to firmware version 6a39 which makes it pretty fast - own
experience here.

Hey, thanks for the tip.
Wasn't aware that there is a new firmware. Just did the update (from ver. 6a37 to 6a39) and HoTT is much faster now !!!

:)

PostPosted: Tue 25. Jul 2017 7:49:26 

Dear aircruiser,

thanks for the tip.
I wasn't´t aware that SUMD is working in combination with normal servo output.
I now connected a RPM sensor to the motor wires, that I can make use of the Spirit governor. Nevertheless to reduce cables, I´ll then also use the Graupner ESC at the GR16 with the internal ESC governor.
Telemetry I also connected with a Y-cable, works fine.

Best
Armin

PostPosted: Sun 10. Dec 2017 19:48:18 

Hi all

I want to take the ball up again, as I have a similar problem.
I am in the setup process to a TRex 600 Pro DFC and have foreseen to use a Spirit Pro as FBL unit. The other components are Graupner BRUSHLESS CONTROL + T 120 HV G6 and Graupner GR-18 + 3xG + 3A + Vario as receiver. As I don't want to use the receiver as a Gyro I switched it to plane mode with no control to all axes.
As far as I know the telemetry of the Graupner ESC can not be used at the Spirit at the moment and cause of that no Gov mode by Spirit is possible. I see in the software that it shows some RPM values but it only flickers different RPM numbers. Is there a chance that the full integration will be done in the near future cause this would be my preferred solution.
Therefore I decided to switch on the Gov mode in the ESC but still have the signal cable of the ESC connected to the Spirit. This works well and the motor starts to spin. As I had no chance to test the RPM I can not say if the spirit is able to set the correct throttle value on the controller.
The problem I am facing manly now is with the telemetry data. I decided that I would like to use a y-cable to connect the spirit via Graupner inegration cable and the telemetry single line cable of the ESC to the telemetry port of the receiver. That done I can access the spirit menu in the telemetry pages of the sender. The sender also recognizes the ESC module as additional telemetry module. But if I try to access that settings page in the tel settings I get only a few strange letters. One time I had some strange letters and then the bottom part of the Spirit menu. If I connect only the ESC all works as expected.
I know that it should be possible to have the spirit telemetry in parallel with other modules, cause on my Rex450 I have the spirit and a voltage module on the same telemetry line.
I don't use the direct connection of the throttle signal to the receiver (as described on post by aircruiser) because I read somewhere that the FBL is able to react faster to pitch dumps if it also controls the ESC.

PostPosted: Mon 11. Dec 2017 12:06:08 
Site Admin

Hi,

regarding RPM readout from the ESC, I think that this should normally work if the output is compatible with other ESCs. But I have to say that we have not tested it. As soon as we will get such ESC we can test it.

But we have customers that are running this ESC along with Spirit integration successfully in the same way that you have described.
Could you please confirm that you have the latest firmware version in the unit?

Does the integration work correctly when the ESC telemetry is not connected?

PostPosted: Fri 15. Dec 2017 12:16:02 

Hi,

Thanks first for your reply.
The good news first. I was able to solve the telemetry problem. I have now both the Spirit via Sysport and the telemetry line of the ESC connected to the receiver and can access the telemetry settings on both without any problem. It was a problem with the firmware of the Graupner ESC which had to be updated to 2.001.

Unfortunately I am facing still the problem with the throttle signal on the Spirit gov. Again to be sure: I switched the single line telemetry cable of the ESC to the middle pin of the servo plug and connected that cable to the Ele/Pit/Ail port of the Spirit. I am not completely sure about the Throttle Frequency which is listed in the spec of the ESC with 32kHz. As this fit's next, I have chosen 333Hz but have also tried with the other values with same results. If I have a look at the RPM Meter it shows a suitable value at the Requested RPM but the Current RPM flickers between a value that could be realistic, to zero, to a value in the correct range and back to zero. Therefore the RPM on the motor is far away from stable and at first takes some time till the motor starts at all (if the requested value is already to high it doesn't start at all) and then it spools up and down. The Tester shows me a red dot and says Active (1).
So if anyone with the same constellation (Graupner HV ESC and Spirit) was able to bring the Gov mode in the Spirit to work properly any help would be very appreciated.
By the way I am on 2.4.3 on the Spirit.

PostPosted: Mon 18. Dec 2017 9:19:20 

I worked on that problem again during the weekend with no solution. One finding that came to my mind was that the separate cable on the ESC is not only RPM signal but transmittes a complete Graupner Telemetry Signal. I think that can make the difference, cause the Spirit has to extract the RPM value out of that telemetry stream and that is propably not possible. An I right with that assumption?

PostPosted: Mon 18. Dec 2017 9:51:56 
Site Admin

Thank you for the message.

The RPM signal that can be used has to be in standard RPM signal output, not a telemetry data.
Telemetry data are usually too slow to be usefull for governor so for this reason it must be raw RPM signal only.
In some ESCs it can be programmed, in some the lead is dedicated just for this purpose. But if it can work with other units in some way it will work also with Spirit.