It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024 7:45:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat 03. Jun 2017 20:12:28 

I own 7 Spirit Pro units. Rescue has been working flawlessly on 6 of the 7 units. The unit in question sporadically "Rescues" towards the ground instead of away from ground. I have this Spirit Pro installed on a Goblin 380 using a Jeti REX7 receiver, and it is powered by the Jive Pro BEC at 7.8v. Flies fine otherwise. I tend to test the Rescue before I perform new or advanced maneuvers. If the Rescue forces the helicopter towards the ground, I land, re-restart the unit, and that usually fixes the Rescue problem for that flight. I tested the Rescue yesterday at about 10 ft. height. The helicopter shot down towards the ground too fast for me to react, and now the helicopter is grounded until I get new parts for it.

What explains why this one Spirit Pro unit Rescues towards the ground?

PostPosted: Sat 03. Jun 2017 22:01:58 

Not an answer to your question, but I always test the Rescue on the ground duting my pre-flight checks, so no need to takeoff, try, land, whatever.

PostPosted: Sun 04. Jun 2017 0:48:11 

I did. My routine is to test the response to the sticks AND the Rescue switch (make sure swash moves up) as well as swash and tail response to helicopter movements on the ground prior to the very first spoo-up of the day for each helicopter I use. The swash moved up when I tested the Rescue on the ground. It just did not Rescue in correct direction during actual flight.

This happened once before, but it happened after the tail shook violently (from having the tail gains too high), so I attributed the funky Rescue response due to that violent tail shake. Rescue has been performing flawlessly for several other flights till this second "negative" Rescue incident.

PostPosted: Sun 04. Jun 2017 7:35:52 

How's the vibration analysis?

If I remember correctly, the one and only case like yours I read about was due to severe vibrations.

I think you know, but with RTT you can even do in-flight vibration analysis.

PostPosted: Sun 04. Jun 2017 10:42:19 
Site Admin

Hello,

it is very sad, but we will find explanation.
I have sent email to your question, so I am resending it again here:

The issue could happen if some of the basic settings are not done properly.
The most important thing you can check is, if all the bars in the Diagnostic tab are matching with the sticks.
This mean that for example collective pitch direction goes in the same way as in the software when comparing with sticks.

Can you verify that this is the case?

When you activate the rescue on the ground before flying the swashplate must go always up, never down. If this is occuring, then for sure there is some issue in the settings, that we will find together.

Can you check it please?

PostPosted: Tue 13. Jun 2017 15:42:19 

I've corresponded with Tomas quite a bit on this issue. We've narrowed it down to possible "static hit" since the Goblin 380 does not have electrical continuity. He offered to evaluate the unit. I am going to hold off on sending him the unit for evaluation. I plan to first create electrical continuity on this helicopter and test it before sending the unit to him for evaluation. I will post my results.

PostPosted: Tue 20. Jun 2017 21:06:58 

I have pretty much the same issue on my Trex 550 X. And would very much like to find an answer to why it behaves like that.

Luckily I have not yet had a bad accident, but hitting rescue more than 2 minutes into the flight can be a scary experience. It usually dive forward and climb at a 45° angle. Which of course is a huge safety risk as it covers a lot of space while climbing. I'm just hoping I will never have to hit rescue low to the ground while it's close to me.

And several times when I have tested rescue directly after landing it will give negative pitch andtilt the swash plate fully forward or backward as if it think the helikopter is inverted.

This is of course a very serious issue that kind of kills the whole experience for me. And it is an issue that the microbeast I replaced with a spirit pro did not have.

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue 20. Jun 2017 21:14:21 
Site Admin

Yes, this should never happen so it mean that there is some bigger issue, especially with Spirit Pro.
Very likely it also mean that the basic function will be degraded in some way. Unfortunately without any info it is hard to help.

In any case you can use these instructions:
http://manual.spirit-system.com/index.p ... ise_Rescue

It would be also good to send the settings and also to describe all your setup with as many details as possible.

PostPosted: Tue 20. Jun 2017 21:58:39 

I had once where I initialised when it is not parallel to ground but thats totally my fault.

Hope the new GPS function will complements the rescue function for more altitude (vertical) and lat lon (horizontal) precision.

PostPosted: Wed 21. Jun 2017 0:00:03 

Everything is setup going in the right directions. And it always work fine the first minute or so of the flight. But then the drift start being noticeable, and after a while it gets really bad. Hovering for a while seems to make the horizon get corrected a bit again.

My setup is a stock Trex 550 X Dominator Super Combo Kit with the ESC replaced by a Hobbywing Platinum 120A V4 and the microbeast replaced by a Spirit Pro. The receiver is an FrSky X4R, and in addition to the Spirit ESC integration I have an altimeter and a cell voltage sensor installed.

The unit is installed on the platform where Align recommend to put the microbeast. With the tape that came with the unit. So it should be aligned properly. And all channels move in the right direction. I used to set the cyclic rate to 13, but I tried setting it back to 11 to check. But that made no difference. I test this every flight now, and it always fail. It start out fine, and then get progressively worse throughout the flight.

I attached my settings, and also a screenshot of the RPM and vibration log from a long test hover I did a couple of days ago:
Attachment:
File comment: Vibration Log
Trex550X vibration log.PNG
Trex550X vibration log.PNG [ 165.79 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that tilting the helicopter before takeoff can throw it off. Does it really try to capture the horizon at bootup and then integrate throughout the whole flight? In addition to the fact that it accumulate integration error during the flight, that is also a problem for helicopters like the 550X that are leaning forward quite a bit due to the weird landing gear (tilts forward by 5° to give better tail clearance). The microbeast did not have that restriction AFAIK, and seemed to always be able to figure out what was down on the fly by using the accelerometers and current rotation rates.

Attachments:
File comment: Spirit settings
Settings 550X-20170621.4ds [255 Bytes]
Downloaded 32 times