It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 11:21:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Nitro gov needs work
PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 1:06:34 

I'm not sure how the carburetor could be over 100% since it has a physical endpoint where you'd hear the servo binding once it's hit? (it also lines up with the tick mark on the carb). The throttle servo is set so that it is not binding/buzzing at min and max positions. There is no play in the linkage either that would provide a false upper limit. I've had the same thing happen with the electric helis where the throttle min/max were definitely set up properly as well. I had it with a castle 160 where I not only went through the throttle calibration procedure, I also spooled the heli up without blades and adjusted the upper endpoint to the edge of where RPM was no longer increasing, but the next step down it would decrease. I have not yet tried it with my hobbywing 160a v4, but I have set the endpoints to 1100-1940 as per ESC manual, followed by stick calibration.

However I'd be happy to beta test :]

PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 6:20:19 

I am having the same issues and with my nitro and a gasser. I have set my min and max throttle so that the carburetor is fully open and fully closed with no servo binding. Is this the correct way or can the Spirit still be trying to drive past 100 percent. Also with a dead engine and throttle curve at flat 65 the servo will move slowly to fully open and then does short pulsing as if it were trying to bind.
Does it make any difference which way the carburetor barrel rotates in relation to the min and max settings. I adjust the max setting for closed throttle and the min setting for open throttle. If I turn the servo horn 180 degrees then max would be full throttle and min would be closed throttle.

PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 6:48:35 

Max throttle should definitely = fully opened carb and min throttle should be fully closed carb. I'm not sure how it's even working with the way you have it setup backwards...there is a check box for reverse throttle if you need to do that to configure it the correct way or just turn the servo horn like you said. I think that alone may be the cause of your problems, since the governor is going to go towards max under load and towards min when unloaded.

PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 8:10:09 
Site Admin

The behavior of overspeeding could appear with any motor as soon as the throttle is over the limit where increasing signal value does physically nothing. With nitro/gasser helicopters it is in some cases not the mark which is on the carburator. So it may need to decrease the limit few points.
But the new parameter limit I have described will solve this issue in any case so it will be enough to set the upper limit even by eye to obtain correct behavior. So the problem can be easily solved and you can leave it all configured as is.

showmeflyer: This could happen when regulation will reach its limit, then it could start to pulsate. If there is no apparent reason why it goes to full throttle, then the signal the unit is receiving tells the unit the head speed is too low. So it is increasing. To make sure that all is OK, you can go to the General/Governor/Sensor Tester and check if the head speed is stable when the governor is off (with linear throttle curve 0 - 100%). It should display correct values all the time. What RPM sensor you are using?

Signal quality is crucial for the governor - let's imagine you are driving a car and then somebody will cover eyes periodically. Then driver can only guess what he should actually do. The same thing could occur with governor.
Fortunately with basically all ESCs that are supplied with ESC cable lead you can get usually very good signal quality. The only exception is CC and enabled Live-Link protocol. Then the motor can't be controlled that well from Governor. But this is little bit different issue.
On gassers the biggest killer of the signal are high voltage impulses that are carried to the unit if the spark plug is not shielded well.

Once time will allow we will produce guides for Nitro/Gassers to show how set it all properly to avoid a problems and how to route the signal.
I think that it will help a lot.

PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 9:17:14 

I checked the carbs on my YS 96srx's and at the maximum physical travel of the carb arm the barrel becomes exactly flush with the intake. Whether that last millimeter or so truly does anything I can't say.

In any case I appreciate you looking into this and making improvements in any way you can. With the rising popularity of nitro again and all of the new models (700xn, protos nitro, goblin 700 black nitro sport) it would be beneficial to selling units to people building them if they were more confident with the governor for nitro.

One other thing I am curious about is that under the rpm sensor tester screen, when the sensor is over a magnet it says 'inactive' and when not over a magnet it reads 'active'. Could this not affect performance? Because instead of reading RPM based on a single point in rotation, it's reading active for 180 degrees of the rotation? Or does it not really matter? Is there any way to set it to active on the magnets and inactive when not on the magnets instead?

PostPosted: Thu 18. Jan 2018 16:56:54 

ZeXx86 can you tell me if my min and max settings being reversed as I mentioned in previous reply is a problem. Spoolup is good and throttle is moving the right direction. I checked the rpm on a linear throttle curve and it is moving 20-30 rpm. I changed the filter from 3-8 and still moves 20-30 rpm. Is this stable enough? If not what can I do? I am using a Spartan sensor. Also have tried the Aerospire sensor with same results. I started with two active magnets and now back to one magnet with the same results.

Thanks for the great support

PostPosted: Fri 19. Jan 2018 7:46:04 

I forgot to mention one more aspect of the nitro gov issue:

if you piro in one direction and then abruptly piro to the other direction, the engine will bog for a second and over shoot. Like a delay in governor response or something. There's no bog doing this on curves

PostPosted: Fri 19. Jan 2018 8:26:42 
Site Admin

thestructured: Hello,
active/inactive is OK - the RPM counter is sensing number of changes per time frame. So it does not matter which is active/inactive.
How did you actually configured throttle curve? What mixes you are using there?

showmeflyer: Yes, it makes big difference if it is working in that way all the time - since the movement of the throttle is completely reversed. You will have to at least enable Throttle Reverse option.
20-30 RPM range is quite useable. So it should work with that.

PostPosted: Fri 19. Jan 2018 19:05:36 

ZeXx86 If I enable throttle reverse my throttle moves in the wrong direction. I think I am not explaining this very well so I will try again. The max setting is 1970us and my throttle is closed. The min setting is 970us and my throttle is full open. Since the 1970us is clockwise rotation of the servo and the 970us is counterclockwise rotation of the servo the only way to reverse min and max is to rotate the servo horn 180 degrees which I can not do on this model. On spool up the governor is slowly increasing the rpm from idle so it is moving the right direction. Since we are just setting servo end points with the min and max settings does it really matter which one is full throttle and which one is idle ? I am not trying to over complicate this just trying to make the governor work on a great fbl controller.

PostPosted: Sat 20. Jan 2018 0:06:01 

The ungoverned throttle curves I set the last time I was out are: normal for spoolup only 0-25-50-50-50, UI1 90 70 58 70 90, and UI2: 100 75 59 75 100. It's worth noting that the YS engines I have used have a much more sensitive throttle than OS. That is why in the center I can only set around upper 50's to low 60's, because otherwise at mid stick the engine will turn faster than 17,000 rpm. With the OS 105 I used to have, you could use 75% in the center even.